Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:55 am

Get a charter 100% sharks aren't as hard to find if u know how to find them! And if that fails you'd at least bottom bash out wide for some nice fish

Even if u don't catch on a charter the information u take with u will be great for your own trips
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:44 am

4liters wrote:
bowl wrote:How big is your boat.
We use to catch sharks about k out of san remo.
Interesting. I'll have bring the sharking gear next time I take the yak down to cape woolamai
Hahaha I like your dedication 4liters, unless you have a dream to get taken by a shark one day I wouldn't be playing with death on a surf board lol do it land based I'd say but hey I don't have kryptonite so what would I know lol

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Buckle&scream wrote:
4liters wrote:
Interesting. I'll have bring the sharking gear next time I take the yak down to cape woolamai
Hahaha I like your dedication 4liters, unless you have a dream to get taken by a shark one day I wouldn't be playing with death on a surf board lol do it land based I'd say but hey I don't have kryptonite so what would I know lol
Should be fine, if it looks too big and pissed off I can always cut the line before it gets too close to me. I'd prefer to target sharks under 2m but I'm not sure how selective you can be with this kind of fishing
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:26 pm

4liters wrote:
Buckle&scream wrote:
4liters wrote:
Should be fine, if it looks too big and pissed off I can always cut the line before it gets too close to me. I'd prefer to target sharks under 2m but I'm not sure how selective you can be with this kind of fishing

Plenty of sharks in that entrance.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:27 pm

4liters wrote:
Buckle&scream wrote:
4liters wrote:
Yeah if he's a nice little shaky that will swim away after you cut the line, or if you have enraged the beast he might want to hang around for a while..

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Never tried to catch one. But have seen them, last one was in quite close down to the west of lakes about 5mile. about 1 month ago. I did hear that one of the charter vessels sighted one last week. Shark activity has been high lately as you would expect in Autumn.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:02 am

cobby wrote:1. Yes and no. It's been a fairly average season allround
2. Pups to 200kg+
3. Deep enough for them to swim. seriously they can be anywhere
4. Anything. Couta. Salmon. Tuna. Squid and more
5. Can't say I've ever found a best time
6. Anything oily and smelly with a fair amount of blood and lots of it
7. Anything from 10minutes to no encounters all day
8. Try your 80lb.... On the couta. The premade 200kg ones would be fine.
9. And have a spare waiting in the boat just incase one does circles
10. Our rod setups are:
a. Shimano TLD 50LRSA reel fitted with approx. 500m of 60lb Mono on a 37kg rod from BCF fitted with rollers the full length
b. Shimano TLD 30A reel fitten with approx. 400m of 80lb braid on a 24kg reel, no rollers
c. Will these rods do the job??
Yes. Could even go light in a 15kg with a Tld25 aswell

You forgot 11. How are you going to kill the thing. They're crazy things and will destroy and try to eat everything if bought into the boat green. Stabbing them boatside just sends them nuts as does a mistimed baseball bat between the eyes. And those teeth hurt with no pressure let alone one thrashing about and sinking them into you

I'd seriously just save the cash and take duckys suggestion before attempting it yourself first time

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. I had a look at the BOM, but I think I might have missed the best part of the season for makos looking at the water temps. I'm sure there are a couple of lone wanderers, but looks like they will be moving east.

Might just head to the pipeline Saturday morning, and try for some snapper or something, then on the way back, I'll drift behind the breakers for some gummies and maybe a bronzie.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:37 am

Davidsch1 wrote:
cobby wrote:1. Yes and no. It's been a fairly average season allround
2. Pups to 200kg+
3. Deep enough for them to swim. seriously they can be anywhere
4. Anything. Couta. Salmon. Tuna. Squid and more
5. Can't say I've ever found a best time
6. Anything oily and smelly with a fair amount of blood and lots of it
7. Anything from 10minutes to no encounters all day
8. Try your 80lb.... On the couta. The premade 200kg ones would be fine.
9. And have a spare waiting in the boat just incase one does circles
10. Our rod setups are:
a. Shimano TLD 50LRSA reel fitted with approx. 500m of 60lb Mono on a 37kg rod from BCF fitted with rollers the full length
b. Shimano TLD 30A reel fitten with approx. 400m of 80lb braid on a 24kg reel, no rollers
c. Will these rods do the job??
Yes. Could even go light in a 15kg with a Tld25 aswell

You forgot 11. How are you going to kill the thing. They're crazy things and will destroy and try to eat everything if bought into the boat green. Stabbing them boatside just sends them nuts as does a mistimed baseball bat between the eyes. And those teeth hurt with no pressure let alone one thrashing about and sinking them into you

I'd seriously just save the cash and take duckys suggestion before attempting it yourself first time

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. I had a look at the BOM, but I think I might have missed the best part of the season for makos looking at the water temps. I'm sure there are a couple of lone wanderers, but looks like they will be moving east.

Might just head to the pipeline Saturday morning, and try for some snapper or something, then on the way back, I'll drift behind the breakers for some gummies and maybe a bronzie.
That sounds good mate. Let us know how you go. Good luck :thumbsup:

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:30 pm

If you don't catch any makos you can always chase the marlin past the rigs.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:40 pm

Read about the first swordfish caught off lakes entrance with a rod and reel :)

Return to “Shark Fishing”