Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Davidsch1

Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Post by Davidsch1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:43 am

I’m after some tips for Mako fishing off Lakes Entrance! I’m completely new to shark fishing, and I’ve never caught a decent eating shark in my life (only Port Jacksons and Carpets). I plan to head offshore into about 50-60m water (is that deep enough??) to catch a mako, as I heard they are the best eating shark if you like flake.
So here are my questions:
1. Is it too late in the year or season for fishing for makos?
2. What size Makos can I expect to catch off Lakes Entrance?
3. How deep does the water need to be? Is 50-60m deep fine or should I be deeper?
4. Best bait? I would have preferred live bait, like salmon, but I’m not sure I can get live salmon if I plan to head offshore early in the morning….what about eel from BCF? Or just those little slimy mackerel fish that are about 15cm long? Any useful little fish I can pick up from inside Lakes Entrance before sunrise that might be excellent bait for Makos?
5. What’s the best time of day? Sunrise? Mornings? Anytime of the day?
6. I plan to drift when I get to the depth of water I plan to fish in, and then berley up while drifting in the current. I was planning to use a combination of homemade burley blocks (which consist of chook pellets, tuna oil and heaps of vitamised leftover bait frozen into blocks), tuna oil, and the Neptune Fish Magnet blocks. Is that the best stuff to use to create a burley trail?
7. How long should we expect to wait while burleying up? 1/2 hour? 1 hour? Few hours?? Half a day?????
8. What’s the best tracer to use? I know BCF sells those premade tracer packs which consist of a 200kg (or 400kg?) plastic-coated steel tracer with a massive hook on it – are they any good?? I do have my own rolls of that thin black-coated steel tracer wire up to about 80lb I think, which I can crimp to my own requirements – would that be a better choice rather than the premade ones from BCF (I can use either as I have both of those options)
9. I plan to use a party balloon to float out my live/dead bait. How far should I suspend the bait? 1 meter, or more? The plan was to float out two baits on two different coloured balloons (for easy identification), one at about 30-50m from the boat, and another a bit further than that.
10. Our rod setups are:
a. Shimano TLD 50LRSA reel fitted with approx. 500m of 60lb Mono on a 37kg rod from BCF fitted with rollers the full length
b. Shimano TLD 30A reel fitten with approx. 400m of 80lb braid on a 24kg reel, no rollers
c. Will these rods do the job??

Sorry for so many questions, but I’m totally new to this, and I would like to have a go, being a keen fisherman. My reason I suggested off Lakes Entrance, is because I live local here, otherwise it might mean a trip down to Mallacoota, but it’s a bit of a drive, and I heard the ocean can get big there at times too.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can kindly help out a poor fisherman like me! :r

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Post by ducky » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:04 am

I strongly suggest going on a mako charter. Judging by the sheer amount of questions asked you've got a lot to learn. Will be $$ well spent.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:12 am

ducky wrote:I strongly suggest going on a mako charter. Judging by the sheer amount of questions asked you've got a lot to learn. Will be $$ well spent.
I'd love to but don't have the money for it at the moment. For me, I enjoy the challenge of learning by trial and error, but sometimes it is nice to have a few tips in the right direction. :)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:47 am

Why Lakes entrance do you live there ? a few guy's have good luck offshore from Barwon heads close to Melbourne. ( at the right time of year )
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:57 am

hornet wrote:Why Lakes entrance do you live there ? a few guy's have good luck offshore from Barwon heads close to Melbourne. ( at the right time of year )
Yes, I live local to Lakes Entrance. I believe that there are makos offshore here. Local bcf staff member is an avid shark fisherman. Just more to the point for me is the "hows" lol!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 am

How big is your boat.
We use to catch sharks about k out of san remo.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:17 am

bowl wrote:How big is your boat.
Interesting. I'll have bring the sharking gear next time I take the yak down to cape woolamai
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:24 am

It's a 5.5m boat, if that helps

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 am

4liters wrote:
Interesting. I'll have bring the sharking gear next time I take the yak down to cape woolamai
Mmm I wouldn't ,decent shark will have you for brekky on the yak
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:45 am

1. Yes and no. It's been a fairly average season allround
2. Pups to 200kg+
3. Deep enough for them to swim. seriously they can be anywhere
4. Anything. Couta. Salmon. Tuna. Squid and more
5. Can't say I've ever found a best time
6. Anything oily and smelly with a fair amount of blood and lots of it
7. Anything from 10minutes to no encounters all day
8. Try your 80lb.... On the couta. The premade 200kg ones would be fine.
9. And have a spare waiting in the boat just incase one does circles
10. Our rod setups are:
a. Shimano TLD 50LRSA reel fitted with approx. 500m of 60lb Mono on a 37kg rod from BCF fitted with rollers the full length
b. Shimano TLD 30A reel fitten with approx. 400m of 80lb braid on a 24kg reel, no rollers
c. Will these rods do the job??
Yes. Could even go light in a 15kg with a Tld25 aswell

You forgot 11. How are you going to kill the thing. They're crazy things and will destroy and try to eat everything if bought into the boat green. Stabbing them boatside just sends them nuts as does a mistimed baseball bat between the eyes. And those teeth hurt with no pressure let alone one thrashing about and sinking them into you

I'd seriously just save the cash and take duckys suggestion before attempting it yourself first time

Return to “Shark Fishing”