Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Hitting a Mako off Lakes Entrance...

Post by re-tyred » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:02 pm

I will be out there in the tinny tomorrow morning, just down the beach trying for a Gummy and flathead. Might ping the rocks later in the morning.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:59 am

So fishing trip went quite well, thanks to some excellent weather! Got out there early and arrived at the pipeline by sunrise. A bit disappointed though, as got NO bites at all. Fish were sounding, but not biting, even with burley, which is really strange. Heaps of boats out there, counted 24 altogether, but basically no one catching anything decent at all, unless you call gurnards something to boast about. :)

After about 1 and a half hours, we headed in closer to shore in about 10m of water. I would have sat behind the breakers, but there weren't any!! It was really flat. So we drifted in 10-15m water just east of the tower out at the pipelines, and burleyed up. Sure enough within 15 min, zinggggggg - a nice flathead over 40cm long. Back in again with the bait, and zinggggggg - another nice flathead around 40-45cm long. Ended up landing 7 decent flathead, all above 40cm. Biggest weighed shy of 500g.

Had also set some balloon rigs out at 50m and 80m from the boat into the current along the burley trail, but unsuccessful with any big bronzies. Did manage to nab three small bronzies off the bottom, but not big enough to keep. Thought we had a decent shark on at one stage, as the game rod went zinggggg. But ended up being an eagle ray, which was trying to fly across the water when pulled up beside the boat.

It was quite funny, because the water police were patrolling, making sure everyone was doing the right thing and having their safety gear, etc... He said to me that we had a magnificent burley trail going that went all the way to the beach, and he made a joke, "Oh well, if anyone is swimming off the beach, I'm sure they will be out of the water pretty quick" My brother and I had a bit of a laugh about it after. We knew the burley trail was good, but didn't realize it was THAT good!!

Unfortunately, by late morning the wind picked up as it changed direction and started up some chop, so we were thinking of calling it a day, but as we headed back to Lakes Entrance, it wind was completely gone, and the chop just disappeared!! So we headed out to Six Mile Reef. It was sooooo flat and glassy out at the reef I was amazed. I've never seen such perfect conditions. Basically NO swell, NO wind, NO chop, nothing!! It was just dead flat. Sounded out the edge of the reef and found some schools of fish, which looked decent. So we killed the motor and just drifted at about 0.1knots/hr. Dropped in our lines with a little burley. At first it was quiet, but then it gradually started picking up as the burley hit the bottom. Picked up some gurnards to begin with, then some Barbers perch and Ling. Had a couple of massive hits with rods bent and line screaming for a short burst, then nothing!! Was thinking some big snapper or something?? Anyway, shortly after that, WHAM!! Fish on with a few tail thumps and a decent fight. Pulled up a nice pinkie snapper about 40cm. Then another.....and then an even bigger one! Ended up landing 5 nice pinkies. Had enough for the day and called it quits, so headed back to the boat ramp. Overall quite happy with our day!! :D

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:04 am

Sample of the day's fishing!!!
Attachments
IMG20160410092838.jpg
Our keep for the day

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 am

Nice catch. Jealous

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:14 am

Sounds like you had a great day nice bag as well

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 am

Thats a great days fishing

Long burley trail
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:36 am

Nice feed there bud! Well done!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

Davidsch1 wrote:Sample of the day's fishing!!!
you have a good feed there! great catch :a_goodjob:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:32 pm

I went to the pipeline on Saturday. Calmest day I have seen for quite sometime. Didn't do anything spectacular. 4 flathead 1 at 52cm. 1 pinky 30cm. 1 Large blue leather jacket. Plus a few mackerel I kept for bait. I did notice a few boats had gummies back at the ramp. Didn't see any myself. I suspect they would have been close in at daylight.
It was a top day to be out there. Quite some distance to go in the tinny too.
Attachments
pipeline.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:47 pm

re-tyred wrote:I went to the pipeline on Saturday. Calmest day I have seen for quite sometime. Didn't do anything spectacular. 4 flathead 1 at 52cm. 1 pinky 30cm. 1 Large blue leather jacket. Plus a few mackerel I kept for bait. I did notice a few boats had gummies back at the ramp. Didn't see any myself. I suspect they would have been close in at daylight.
It was a top day to be out there. Quite some distance to go in the tinny too.
Lol I probably saw you but I wouldn't have recognised you, as there were a few tinnies out there.

Return to “Shark Fishing”