Gummy shark fishing

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Telec

Gummy shark fishing

Post by Telec » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi guys,
I am new to gummy shark fishing and would greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me to where and what kind of tide to look at, as well as what rig to use I have gone and got at rod 10 kg and using a 4000 Stradic with 20 lb daiwa braid and 30 lb black magic leader,
Whats type of bait ? is it the same as the snapper rigs
I am located in the western suburbs and have been told to look at werribee beach wall, swan bay and st.leonards
Trying to find a beach place before I try the piers or rocks thanks .

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Gummy shark fishing

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Hello .
I use paternosta,sometimes with flashes.
Salmon for bait.
I have caught them them in as little as 2metrs of water in my boat around werribee
Was a bronze bronzes whaler caught off that rockwall
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:22 pm

I've never caught any in port Phillip but I fish wp more. Tenby point/ corinella is a great spot to target them landbased..

My gummy rod is a 10-15kg ugly stick and a 6000 bait runner but your outfit is fine u would want to consider beefing up your leader to about a meter or more cause they wrap themselves up sometimes.. Fresh salmon works a treat so does squid heads whiting heads etc but I normally use a big bloody fillet of a yakka or salmon.. 6/0 hook should suffice just pierce the fillet through from the flesh through the skin on a running sinker rig.

In saying all this you can catch em while snapper fishing on pippi or squid pilchard etc.. Happy hunting
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Read and apply this mate. Admittedly it's targeted towards boats but landbased isn't a hell of a lot different.

http://bigtimefishingcharters.com.au/wp ... me-Way.pdf

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:28 am

I recently headed up to st leanords and we hooked onto a couple of sharks. Ended up landing a 1.2 metre gummy that put up a decent fight and must have hooked a couple of 7 gillers or schoole sharks because they would do a couple of head shakes and bite straight through the line....

I had 40lb mono leader with 20lb mono spool 7000 series pen and 5 to 10kg rod.....I plan on putting a lot heavier leader next time i go.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:04 am

ducky wrote:Read and apply this mate. Admittedly it's targeted towards boats but landbased isn't a hell of a lot different.

http://bigtimefishingcharters.com.au/wp ... me-Way.pdf

great link.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 pm

My advice, go out and put baits inthe water, the more you read and the more help you get(which none of it will be the same) makes you over think things.
KISS, is a very good rule to follow.
Running sinker 2 to 6oz, 6/0 to 8/0 circle hook, 60lb leader, 30lb mainline(or lighter if you like). Pick a beach between Somers and Flinders, cast a bait out and wait.
Best bait by far is FRESH squid, off these beaches.

Again, don't over complicate things.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm

If you go to Tenby Point or Lang Lang use banana prawn instead of squid. On Tuesday I had a couple of gummies swim straight past the squid (caught that morning) I had out and hit the prawn instead.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm

Werribee rock wall or st lenords jetty would give you a good chance at one, if it was me I'd be going To the Rock wall as the water is fairly deep there and I have caught many gummys on the boat not far out from the rock wall a chunky salmon cube on a 6/0 octopus circle hook running rig usually gets them good, Good luck!

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Telec wrote:Hi guys,
I am new to gummy shark fishing and would greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me to where and what kind of tide to look at, as well as what rig to use I have gone and got at rod 10 kg and using a 4000 Stradic with 20 lb daiwa braid and 30 lb black magic leader,
Whats type of bait ? is it the same as the snapper rigs
I am located in the western suburbs and have been told to look at werribee beach wall, swan bay and st.leonards
Trying to find a beach place before I try the piers or rocks thanks .

Your gear is fine. I have caught meter gummies on 15lb mono in Westernport so your 20lb braid in PPB would be plenty to stop them. 4000 reel is also sufficient.

I have caught almost all my gummies around a tide change

Return to “Shark Fishing”