Rigs, Baits, ballooning, sliding

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
vinhii

Rigs, Baits, ballooning, sliding

Post by vinhii » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:54 am

Hey boys!

whats everyones method on getting them big puppies??

do some of you prefer ballooning out? Or paddling baits out?

Or Maybe Slide some baits out if you are solo shark session.

What rigs are you guys often using?

azkay

Re: Rigs, Baits, ballooning, sliding

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Vinhii,

I chased em for a solid few months maybe twice a week about a year or so ago. I'd fish regular surf gear or light gear on the side and any fresh bait i would balloon out..

On occasion i'd leave the balloon on and let my trace sit under, other times i'd release the balloon and let the bait sink.

Depending on depth i've fished the bottom with conventional running sinkers too, nice and easy however had to deal more with the Droughtboards, Port Jackson's, Ray's, Banjo's, etc..

Also chased em up on the NSW Coast a little when i was up there and the most used method is fresh bait under a massive float, on most the rock platforms the Shark Fisho's would get there 12 Footers, rig to a float, then a couple of metre trace with a ball sinker straight to large hooks. Would cast as far as they can at the top of the rock platform, let it slowly work its way to the bottom with the current, reel and repeat. Helpful fella showed me a photo of a 2.7m Hammerhead and a 30kg Kingy caught using this technique..

I'm still very new to the shark game but thought i'd share my 2 cents..
Az.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Az - that's amazing ! Thanks for sharing man!
Yeah I've always loved it! Chased sharks here and there but never get onto the ones I actually target only because I'm too lazy at times.

I have tried balloons but maybe I'm not letting it go with the current enough , or get too impatient.

However whatever method I use I have hooked into a big 2 meter + bronzie with normal surf girl with just a simple wire trace , taken on eel bait.

Took my by surprise as I thought I hooked a ray,.. Then once it realised it was hooked! The fun fight began!

So I'm just curious on what's everyone's style or technique and rigs they using .

I fished WA for some wild ones late at night , and I can tell you that they chew through some 100lb wire trace like its nothing lol but it's so fun!

Much appreciated with your reply.

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:23 pm

There are some balloons available from woolies and Kmart called Illooms, they have a built in led light and come in different colors. Perfect for night time shark fishing.
Also has anyone ever ballooned a bait out through the surf using the rip.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Oh really? I must get onto these! As I only use my torch to try spot the white balloon at night lol

No can't say I have? I tried once but failed miserably lol so I'll count that as a no

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 am

I have been using the large float method. Being able to lob the gear out 60m gives a great head start. I tend to fish where I can use the tide more than needing the wind though. I have a metre long length of 40mm plumbing pipe which i use to lob frozen chum balls out near the float.
I have tried the sliders as well but you need enough angle between your rod and the bottom to make it work so its tough on our shallow beaches.
Im finding it difficult with the gear though, been spooled many times, have changed to a fin nor lethal 100 so hoping that will help. 600 yards of 50lb braid hopefully is enough.
Cast, catch and put it back

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:17 am

Shallow beaches are not a concern if sliders are worked properly.

I'd love to see anyone lob a bait out with my shark gear :o_0: paddle of balloon only.

Should be set up after this weekend vinhii, so might go send one off a local pier soon.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:07 am

Dezza68 - damn must be some big puppies out there to be spooled , that 0mm plumbing pipe is that gas pressured to shoot bait balls out etc? or you just manually throwing it out

Brett - Yeah keen as! i got the chinese new year on from this sunday onwards till Official chinese new year so weekend sundays from here on i cant do , but a friday to saturday i def can do! hit me up when youre ready bro and ill make sure to try my best to be there!

Return to “Shark Fishing”