wire trace

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
complete-anglerz-12

wire trace

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:49 am

hey guys just setting up to try land my 1st toothy tonight how long should I be making the wire trace I was think 2 meters due to the rods being 7ft 6,
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: wire trace

Post by Redhunter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Making the most of the strong northerlies, and floating out a balloon off the end of a pier are we? Gillers are probably your best chance at this time of year with water temp dropping away. 2m wire should be enough mate. 50cms of wire could also be enough :) Sharks have teeth, which is what the wire is for. They also have abrasive skin and can roll up in traces, which is why people make the traces longer out to 3,4,5 or even 6m long. If it makes things any easier for you, there's no reason you can't use heavy mono trace in conjunction with a short length of wire at the end?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:41 pm

i just used a small bit so you don't get chewed off, rest was just mono trace, as mentioned already wire is just there to avoid biteoffs. but nothing wrong with having a bit in there.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:54 pm

I only use about 50 cm of coated wire, with about 2 meters of 200lb mono. The wire stops the bite-offs, while the heavy mono stops the abrasion from the tail and skin.

I prefer to use minimum wire, reducing the amount of metal around the business end. I read about sharks being sensitive to the electrical fields around the wire, be it true or false, I dont want to risk having too much wire. Some guys just use heavy mono only, rigged with a circle hook. The hook sets in the corner of the jaws, keeping the mono outside of the sharks mouth, so no need for wire. I'm still not convinced with the hook-up rate of circle hooks, so I'll stick with what works for me.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:03 pm

greggo wrote:I only use about 50 cm of coated wire, with about 2 meters of 200lb mono. The wire stops the bite-offs, while the heavy mono stops the abrasion from the tail and skin.

I prefer to use minimum wire, reducing the amount of metal around the business end. I read about sharks being sensitive to the electrical fields around the wire, be it true or false, I dont want to risk having too much wire. Some guys just use heavy mono only, rigged with a circle hook. The hook sets in the corner of the jaws, keeping the mono outside of the sharks mouth, so no need for wire. I'm still not convinced with the hook-up rate of circle hooks, so I'll stick with what works for me.
I thought it was just hammerheads who had sensitivity to electric fields..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:23 pm

BIG GAV wrote: I thought it was just hammerheads who had sensitivity to electric fields..
Apparently all sharks are sensitive, that's why the personal shark repellent gizmos are basically setting an electric field around a person. Whether wire trace affects them or not, I dunno, but I'll minimize it just in case.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:27 pm

I've been bitten off on circles on a few occasions... circles work very well for catch and release though.
Cheers

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:29 pm

I've gut hooked a few fish with circle hooks, only in saltwater tho
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:30 pm

The only fish I've gut hooked on circles are puffers, and it seems to happen nearly every time I catch one.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:52 pm

BIG GAV wrote:I've gut hooked a few fish with circle hooks, only in saltwater tho
yep so have I, n% of the time they are hooked in the corner of the mouth which is why I only use circles. easy to remove the hook and release the fish too.

Return to “Shark Fishing”