wp rod advice

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
complete-anglerz-12

wp rod advice

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm

this weekend going out with a mate on his boat and can only take 1 gummy rod with a full moon im not sure size sinker i will need im hoping to get away with 12 oz sinkers and use 15 to 30 lb terrez with 8k stradic fj is that to light if i need use 20oz sinkers or will i need use my t curve offshore 10-15 kilo rod its a bit stiffer with a 10k sargoosa sw. i also would like to know what gear you guys use for whiting in wp
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Mishachief

Re: wp rod advice

Post by Mishachief » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:39 pm

as for whitting, i just use a light bream rod with running sinker...

as for sinker in WP.. anything from a splitshot to a brick.. pending where you fish

if you have a downrigger its handy.. but ive never needed to go super heavy sinker.. cos i dont fish the full heavy current.. when i am in a boat i'll be just on the edge of the heavy current..

i dont think fish sit in the heavy current either, but off the edges of it too...correct me if i am wrong
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Depends on the depth of water if you are fishing in 20metre plus depth and not using braid you will need 16 oz plus depending on time of the tide. I was in 25 mt yesterday using braid I only needed 10oz sinkers to hold bottom. As for whiting I use my normal whiting rod whenever able but if I need heaps of lead sometimes 10mt depth I use my ppb snapper rod and switch from paternoster to running sinker.

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm

yea cheers guys best thing to ask would of been what gear in wp do you use ofr gummys and whiting
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Depends. The heavier outfit would do fine for gummys and bycatch. Whiting I use 1-4kg nibble tips, or a 5-8kg Abu combo for channel Whiting to handle 10oz sinkers

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:20 pm

15kg outfit chief
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:22 pm

For whiting, stick to any rod rated unto 4/5kg is more than sufficient to handle things, pinkies and decent squid in WPB.
As for sinker size, anything from 6oz unto 20oz but really depends on the tide as some have already mentioned. I tend to go as light as possible, hardly use anything heavier than 12oz.
Your 15-30lb Terez with an 8k stradic, Is that combo balanced? My 15-30lb Terez is matched to 4k stradic and that can handle decent gummies and rays in WPB.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Slow taper rod or nibble tip for whiting then snapper rods for gummy's.. length depends whether landbased or boat, works for me.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 pm

I think the 10-15 tcurve revos are the best all round wpb rods on the market. If you are using anything bigger than a 4/0 anyway. Awesome rods and still pretty tippy. The by catch is what you need the rod strength for.

As for whiting. Something 2-5kg suits wpb pretty well. Not nibble tips unless you are fishing areas with bugger all tide.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Depends on where you are whiting fishing. Lately I've been targeting them in 16-20 meters and they have been biting while the tide is roaring. It's not really comfortable fishing, using snapper combos with huge sinkers to catch ting, but even my egi set up has been doubled over just retrieving the sinker. That being said, if u are in the shallows you would definitely want a lighter set up.

As an aside, we've hooked a few keeper gummies on size 6 hooks on paternoster rigs. We now rig heavier just for the by catch lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Shark Fishing”