WP bronzies?

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

WP bronzies?

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 am

Hi all, with the warmer weather already started and coming up I will continue to target toothies all through the summer months. Could anyone give me a starting point on where to target bronzies in western port as I generally only fish in port phillip and offshore. I have hardly fished western port but have heard bronzies are quite common in the shallow water. Any help would be great.
Cheers
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

Snapper Snatcher

Re: WP bronzies?

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 am

Boat based by the way.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:04 am

There's always reports of them basking in the shallows in both wpb and ppb. Few sighting up around middle spit of them free jumping. I have been bitten off plenty of times in wpb but couldn't tell you if they were schoolies or bronzies. Can't give any advice to target them except for wire,
Fresh baits and plenty of time.

Snapper Snatcher

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:11 am

Cheers ducky, middle spit could be the go.

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:15 am

Given the target is toothies and the fact you go offshore chasing kings why not go for a drift chasing a mako? Can bottom bounce for other species at the same time?

Snapper Snatcher

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm

ducky wrote:Given the target is toothies and the fact you go offshore chasing kings why not go for a drift chasing a mako? Can bottom bounce for other species at the same time?
Yeah that's definately the plan when we get some calm days. The only reason I wanted to target bronzies is because we get more calm days in the bays than offshore plus makos would be a bit of a handful in my 3.9m tinnie haha, will give it a crack when i get the chance anyway.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Snapper Snatcher wrote:
ducky wrote:Given the target is toothies and the fact you go offshore chasing kings why not go for a drift chasing a mako? Can bottom bounce for other species at the same time?
Yeah that's definately the plan when we get some calm days. The only reason I wanted to target bronzies is because we get more calm days in the bays than offshore plus makos would be a bit of a handful in my 3.9m tinnie haha, will give it a crack when i get the chance anyway.
A decent bronzie will also be a bit of a handful in the tinny. My advice, just float a bait under a balloon, when ever you go out, you never know what is hanging around out there.

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:25 pm

I should really do that more brett. Only done it a few times. Once had a 30cm+ live salmon on a 9/0 taken clean without the rod so much as bending over lol. Damn mono.

It'll give my 24kg spin outfit some use anyway. Bloody thing never gets used.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:42 pm

<6m of water just off channels on the banks. Big dead baits are great, but plenty of bus sized rays as bycatch. Livies are good, but never know what coloured toothy comes out to play in the bay

Snapper Snatcher

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Cheers guys, think I may have been fishing a bit deep, will most likely fish most baits under balloons as it's a pain loosing wire to stingrays as I found out the other day.

Return to “Shark Fishing”