Whats your setup for Mako's

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
kyzooper

Whats your setup for Mako's

Post by kyzooper » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:28 am

I am getting a Shimano TLD 50LRSA for Christmas to go on the 24-37Kg rod I bought last year that im going to upgrade when the minister for war and finance allows!! Just wanted to see what gear all you guys and girls are using to catch our toothy friends.
Also not sure what size line and leaders to be using?
We will be targeting mako's off phillip island on the labour day weekend, so would love to see what you have caught and the rig you've caught it on!!!
:shark:
6.5kg Permit,

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Whats your setup for Mako's

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:45 am

kyzooper wrote: Just wanted to see what gear all you guys and girls are using to catch our toothy friends.
I have only one plan for makos - strong hard paddle strokes in the oppisite direction
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 pm

15kg gear, Tld 25s. 50s are a little bit of overkill unless you want to big big bastards

kyzooper

Post by kyzooper » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:55 am

brother inlaw hooked a 7 footer this year that bit through a 150kg wire trace.
6.5kg Permit,

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Agree with cobby, 50s are an overkill for the majority of makos that you're going to encounter in Vic. And even then, only about 50% of them put up a decent fight - the rest of them can be like a tame dog being taken for a walk (except when the gaff goes in...).

Just make sure that every part of your gear is in perfect working condition (i.e. hook, trace, swivels, line, rod guides, drag, etc, etc, etc) as an angry mako will find most flaws in your gear pretty quickly no matter what line class you are using. Make sure your drag is set before each trip out and that your knots and connection points are top notch.

pilko

Post by pilko » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I've got 15 and 24kg . Caught makos on both. I do run a 200kg trace though and a 150lb wind on.

Return to “Shark Fishing”