Shark Fishing Information

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
azkay

Shark Fishing Information

Post by azkay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Team,

Just entered a new chapter when it comes to fishing, attempting things i haven't done as yet. Had a good snapper season this year (according to my standards) and now with the snapper moving out into deeper water and me being 100% land based i thought it may be a good time to start chasing sharks over the summer to tick off the list. Have been fortunate enough to catch a few smaller species of Piers/Rock walls as a by-catch when chasing Reds but I'd like to target some bigger species.

I'm not after any secrets or anything of the kind. More just general information from some of our more experienced members. For example, general rules when fishing for reds include seasonality, onshore winds, choppy weather, fresh baits, reefs, structure, etc. Mulloway: ebb tides, calm conditions, fresh mullet, long hours, etc. This type of info for sharks would be appreciated. I've also started my online/search function research but nothing beats first hand information from experienced anglers fishing similar locations. I live close to CBD but travel alllll over the place regularly for fish so distance up to 4-5 hours isn't really a concern.

I've started prepping my gear as well.. At this stage I'm thinking/using 12' Surf, 6000+ reels, 30-40pound mono, wire trace running sinker, 6/0 Suicide's (heard drop sinkers are a good idea?).. That's what i can put together with existing gear and in budget, open to any suggestions to tweak though.

Had my first crack over the weekend with my brothers. We got onto 2 small school shark and a couta in about 12hrs all up. I've attached some photos. I felt like i was doing it a little blind though with the lack of knowledge so any information would be appreciated..

Cheers :shark:
Attachments
Fishing.JPG
Couta.JPG
Az.

slinga

Re: Shark Fishing Information

Post by slinga » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 am

Have a squiz at the topic that Wolly started, 'How to catch Sharks landbased' or something similar :thumbsup:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:11 am

What species are you after mate, Toothies or gummy sharks?
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:11 am

i know port melbourne area can hold some big sharks during winter i could not see y not in summer but i could be wrong
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:17 am

GTSHoon wrote:What species are you after mate, Toothies or gummy sharks?
Cam
I was hoping for some Decent Size Gummies, School Sharks and may be a stretch but possible Seven Gills..
Az.

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:17 am

slinga wrote:Have a squiz at the topic that Wolly started, 'How to catch Sharks landbased' or something similar :thumbsup:
I'll specifically look that one up now, thanks :)
Az.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:34 am

Lagoon Pier Port Melbourne, for sevengills...your gear will do the job, the rest is technique (I got pyloned by a 2-2.5m sevengill). Be ready to guide the shark to the beach as you want it AWAY from the pier.

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:37 am

azkay wrote:
Cam
I was hoping for some Decent Size Gummies, School Sharks and may be a stretch but possible Seven Gills..
Seven Gills aren't worth the effort, big dopey buggers :lol:

Pick your nights/tides from now until March and the back beaches offer healthy amounts of Gummies with the possibility of tangling with a toothy one.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:37 am

kaotay wrote:Lagoon Pier Port Melbourne, for sevengills...your gear will do the job, the rest is technique (I got pyloned by a 2-2.5m sevengill). Be ready to guide the shark to the beach as you want it AWAY from the pier.
I've considered heading there in 'opposite' snapper conditions (offshore winds and ballooning out).. Pier should be a little less busy that way as well..

2-2.5m, that would be an unreal experience..
Az.

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am

slinga wrote:
azkay wrote:
Cam
Seven Gills aren't worth the effort, big dopey buggers :lol:

Pick your nights/tides from now until March and the back beaches offer healthy amounts of Gummies with the possibility of tangling with a toothy one.
Thanks Slinga, i did the back beaches on the weekend, havent fished it much overnight. Was pleasantly surprised with the amount of life in the water, unreal area..
Az.

Return to “Shark Fishing”