Gummy Shark fishing tips

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Andoki

Gummy Shark fishing tips

Post by Andoki » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Experts in Gummys please help with where and how I target them form landbased fishing around the port philip bay? timing, tide, baits and rig ... etc.

Cheers

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Gummy Shark fishing tips

Post by Brett » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:46 pm

My advice, forget PPB and shoot across to WP, much friendly waters for gummies :-)

Beno

Post by Beno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Balnarring and Stockyard are my two go to places, though I haven't tried for gummies this year in Westernport. My rig is usually a paternoster style rig matched with a bomb or star sinker and 3/0 to 5/0 black magic circles. Mullet/trevs/salmon/squid strips.
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 am

Beno wrote:Balnarring and Stockyard are my two go to places, though I haven't tried for gummies this year in Westernport. My rig is usually a paternoster style rig matched with a bomb or star sinker and 3/0 to 5/0 black magic circles. Mullet/trevs/salmon/squid strips.
Balnarring beach Beno?
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks Beno and Slinga ... Can we get a bit more into technicalities?
What I used to do is paternoster rig, with two 15cm length of a branch line from the main line (20 LB mono line) on a star sinker # 2.
The top branch-line is rigged with 3 ganged hocks with a whole small Mullet or Pilchard on them, and the bottom branch-line is on a single circle hock size 3/0 with a good chunk of Squid on it.
I usually try the incoming high tide on Simi to full moon late nights or early mornings before the first light.
I tried this rig in many times in different locations with no success so far … I am not sure where I went wrong

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:45 am

I think you should consider some Surf fishing @ night , Gummies & surf + night gets some good results .

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 am

So you agree with my rig but on surf fishing ... right?
I hope I can get my first gummy soon before it get too clold and so will be able to go in late nights :)

Beno

Post by Beno » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:26 pm

slinga wrote:
Beno wrote:Balnarring and Stockyard are my two go to places, though I haven't tried for gummies this year in Westernport. My rig is usually a paternoster style rig matched with a bomb or star sinker and 3/0 to 5/0 black magic circles. Mullet/trevs/salmon/squid strips.
Balnarring beach Beno?
Yes Balnarring Beach, plenty of places to try there. Also sommers and point leo.

The rig sounds alright to me Andoki :thumbsup: I prefer to fish in strips as you can thread it onto the hook better.
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Gummy fishing tips,

First tiip go fishing
second tip if the first tip doesn't work, go fishing again.

thirdly, Don't go fishing with Brett if you want to catch a gummy. :crazy: :bounce: :shutup:

Fourthly Don;t tell anyone where you are going, go by yourself.

Fifthly persevere, and it that doesn't work

Persevere again, and again and again,

Fresh bait works and so does bait that has gone off.

Oh and I forgot, keep trying new ideas.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Gummy fishing tips,

First tiip go fishing
second tip if the first tip doesn't work, go fishing again.

thirdly, Don't go fishing with Brett if you want to catch a gummy. :crazy: :bounce: :shutup:

Fourthly Don;t tell anyone where you are going, go by yourself.

Fifthly persevere, and it that doesn't work

Persevere again, and again and again,

Fresh bait works and so does bait that has gone off.

Oh and I forgot, keep trying new ideas.
Don't listen to him Andoki :tongue: more than happy to help in any way I can. If I do manage to accompany you to a beach, I will happily give the first gummy landed to you, for you to do as you wish :thumbsup:
I think wolly, is a little jealous of my recorded catches so far this year(I'm sure he'll catch up, when I quit fishing) :lolf:

Return to “Shark Fishing”