Bite alarms

Plas-Flicker

Re: Bite alarms

Post by Plas-Flicker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:14 am

Never used one myself, a friend up north does tho. He gets cheap ones off eBay, lives at the beach so just leaves a surf rod out with a live mullet. Catches big treadfin salmon, can hear the alarm from his house accross the road so they do work.
Tight lines = Good Times!

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:04 am

some interesting tactics used here, if I use any its the old bells. But I get very annoyed very quickly listening them jingle when someone reels in their line.
every where I seem to go when giving the salt water a shot I come across others that are too lazy to watch their rods and leave the bells on at ALL times (I only fish through daylight hours) it annoys the sh!t out of me. I tend to now only fish the fresh water and only use the bells if I'm away from my rod

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:09 am

Abuthen wrote:There are bite detectors that detect from the tension in the line. You attach them nearer the reel

i know a few people who use these and they seem really good for detecting big bites where as they may have a bit of trouble detecting finicky bites such as bream and those sort of species but for snapper, sharks and jewies these should be just about perfect
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:20 am

The drag.

retortery

Post by retortery » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 am

I often read a book under my headlamp, so would prefer to hear bites as I'm not always watching my rods. For my bigger Jew set-up this isn't an issue as I just set the baitrunner feature. With smaller set-ups running a paternoster rig for pinkie, I find that I often lose the fish if the baitrunner is set because they spit the bait more quickly then when fishing with a tight line.
I also find that when I don't remove the bells before casting my braid gets tangled or caught in it.
Might give the lights a try, though! Peripheral vision is where it's at!

Cheers guys.
I fish therefore I am.

abzz

Post by abzz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:36 am

cobby wrote:The drag.
X2 and with a glow stick at the end of your rod, you can hear the drag scream and watch the rod buckle till it hits the water :)

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:26 am

I tend to just watch my rods, but bells are good fun to keep in your pocket when a mate is using them, just give them a jingle every once in a while and watch them crack their head around or run to their rods, hours of entertainment when the fishing is slow.

On topic though, I bought some cheapy bite alarms off ebay, they're loud but a lot of hassle to set etc.

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:44 am

abzz wrote:
cobby wrote:The drag.
X2 and with a glow stick at the end of your rod, you can hear the drag scream and watch the rod buckle till it hits the water :)
WOW!!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:10 pm

i use bells, mainly because im generally chucking a lure around while waiting for a bite. Glow sticks if im watching the rods. However what is quickly becoming a massive pet peeve for me is when blokes dont remove their bells before winding in or rebaiting. on a busy pier it gets to the point that my bells become useless with all the noise they are making

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:14 pm

I have my bells tuned to a specific frequency so I know when it's my bells ringing... :icon_lolz:

Bazzinga ! :tongue:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”