Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: tackle backpacks

Post by Lightningx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Marty.A wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:21 pm
Bought the backpack from BCF then bought a Kincrome work belt and 2 hammer holders. They clip on the belt then just cut the bottoms off. Holds 2 rods comfortably.
:thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 pm

Marty.A wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:21 pm
Bought the backpack from BCF then bought a Kincrome work belt and 2 hammer holders. They clip on the belt then just cut the bottoms off. Holds 2 rods comfortably.

What a simple but clever idea Marty, with the hammer holders. That is thinking outside the box , , , , the toolbox :thumbsup:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:53 pm

I also bought that Kato backpack but after taking it home and having a closer look i decided that all those extra pockets on the outside were too small for me to make any real use of so i returned it and swapped it for a Shimano backpack.

Although that one was much better IMO due to a few different design features, i still decided after a few weeks debating it to return that one and just keep using my trusty Abu Garcia shoulder bag similar to this one. Although it is getting pretty old now so i have still been looking around for something.

Finally i decided to give the Jarvis Walker Lure Bag a go, which is very similar to the Abu Garcia that i already have. I can easily fit my most used tackle and squid jigs in it and it slots nicely into the side pocket of my boat so it is out of the way. And obviously its great for land based fishing.

And in case you might be wondering, YES i am one of those blokes who has a shed half full of discarded tackle boxes/bags which just didnt quite do the jobfor me. :thumbsup: . But i have become more relaxed about returning items these days if they dont meet my exact needs.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun May 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Bumping this one up instead of making a new thread after a giant debacle in some mangroves last night...

Does anyone know of a dedicated tackle backpack that can accommodate a minimum of 3 3700 sized Plano trays with a max rrp around $200? All the ones I've seen today including those from Shimano, Daiwa and Black Magic only fit 3600 sized trays, I'm far to happy with the setups I've got with the larger 3700 trays to want to change. Only one I've managed to find is this (and it's flashier camo coloured counterpart) from Wilson https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/w ... backpack/

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm

cobby wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:56 pm
Bumping this one up instead of making a new thread after a giant debacle in some mangroves last night...

Does anyone know of a dedicated tackle backpack that can accommodate a minimum of 3 3700 sized Plano trays with a max rrp around $200? All the ones I've seen today including those from Shimano, Daiwa and Black Magic only fit 3600 sized trays, I'm far to happy with the setups I've got with the larger 3700 trays to want to change. Only one I've managed to find is this (and it's flashier camo coloured counterpart) from Wilson https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/w ... backpack/
kmart hiking pack, can fit them i would say easy and you can store your rod inside for protection.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/27l-ad ... en/2714330

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 pm

I do lots of walking in and out of hard to get to spots.

A much, much more efficient way to travel is to buy a properly fitted back pack, then tie your rods in a sling and carry them over your shoulder.

Rods attached to bags catch on f---ing EVERY tree, bush, fence, gate, rock, or carl that you happen to walk past, and you'll keep forgetting that they stick out/up/down when walking for longer periods.

I started carrying my rods and gaff like a rifle a few years back, and it made a world of difference to the ease of getting places.

see vid for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOiDhAN9TY

Edit- didn't realise this thread was old and bumped.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon May 18, 2020 10:03 am

saph wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm
cobby wrote:

kmart hiking pack, can fit them i would say easy and you can store your rod inside for protection.

I did have a look at hiking packs but the lack of a heap of smaller separate pockets and pouches turns me off as I like things like leader spools, bushmans, first aid kit, zmans packets etc not in the trays in their own dedicated spot. I've been using my kayak pack which is fine most of the time, but on the weekend it got hung up on branches when walking through mangroves and ended up covered in mud when it fell off a tree as casting with it on the shoulder is near impossible

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am

cobby wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:03 am
saph wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm
cobby wrote:

I did have a look at hiking packs but the lack of a heap of smaller separate pockets and pouches turns me off as I like things like leader spools, bushmans, first aid kit, zmans packets etc not in the trays in their own dedicated spot. I've been using my kayak pack which is fine most of the time, but on the weekend it got hung up on branches when walking through mangroves and ended up covered in mud when it fell off a tree as casting with it on the shoulder is near impossible
that one has 2 mesh pouches, a smallish zippered compartment, and 2 free item ppockets on the back, it aslo has a front compartment and a back compartment and the bottom can be used for storage or left open for even more space in the main part of the bag.

Ive showen this before but all this fits into the bag linked

also for zmans grab this https://www.hookedonline.com.au/deluxe- ... allet-zman i fit all my plastics in there with ease because of the packets having the 2 holes on the side.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm

I recently got one of these for carrying my stuff while spinning for salmon off the beach: https://www.kmart.com.au/product/oxford ... ey/2879344

Dunno how big those Plano boxes are that you're carrying but I can fit a tackle tray, leader, snips, pliers, rope and so on in there quite comfortably, and you can adjust the height it sits unlike a bumbag so it doesn't get wet when I get smacked by a wave while wading.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm

I had that Kato pack, but i didnt like it. I found that those pockets were too small and totally useless to me. So i returned it and got the Shimano one... which i also returned eventually. I decided that backpacks were not really what i needed.

But i paid a LOT more than $30 for it. For $30 it is probably a good deal if you can make it work for yourself.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”