Flared end to a PVC tube Surf Rod holder

Bugatti

Flared end to a PVC tube Surf Rod holder

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi guys, most of us have PVC tube/pipe Rod Holders, for our Surf Rods. But how many of us have flared ends on them to make it easier to slide the Rods in.
IMG_20190201_095517.jpg

Here is an easy way to get a flared end.

STEP 1
You will need a PVC tube of diameter and length to suit your purpose, from any decent Hardware Store.

STEP 2
You will also need an empty glass bottle with a curved neck for the preferred flared shape.

If you do not have an empty curved neck bottle, then an added step is required. I call it the “Emptying of the Bottle” step.
It is not recommended to perform the “Emptying of the Bottle” step on the same day, as STEPS 3 & 4, the “Flaring of the End” steps, as the flare may not turn out as desired.
IMG_20190201_100840.jpg

Here is a bottle that I have prepared earlier.
IMG_20190201_100910.jpg

STEP 3
You will need a Heat Gun (a stove top works just as good).
IMG_20190201_100108.jpg
Heat up 40-50 mm of the desired end with the Heat Gun. You may choose to flare the other end, but this would make it harder to be inserted into the sand. A pointy end is best for the ‘”Pushing in the Sand End”. Please see STEP 6 the “Pointy End” step, also known as the “Pushy in the Sand End”

STEP 4
When 40-50 mm of the end of the PVC tube is soft, insert the bottle into the PVC tube. Rotating the bottle in the tube, would ensure the flare cools in an even flare shape.
IMG_20190201_095622.jpg
If you find that you are having difficulty inserting the bottle into the end of the PVC tube you would probably find that that is the bottom of the bottle and that you would have more success with inserting the top curved neck of the bottle. Don’t feel bad, I made the same mistake after I performed the “Emptying of the Bottle” step too many times on the same day as the “Flaring of the End” step, as highlighted in STEP 2 of what not to do.
Important, hold (and rotate) bottle in the inserted position until PVC tube has cooled. Failure at this point to hold the bottle in the inserted position for the appropriate amount of cooling time would render you efforts futile and the flare crooked, you would have to subsequently start from the beginning.

Please note: If you find yourself driving to the Hardware Store to buy another tube, you have gone too far back. It is recommended to restart the process at the start of STEP 3, the "Heating of the End" step. Some of you, may choose to go as far back as the “Emptying of the Bottle” step. This is acceptable too but comes with a warning.

WARNING: Repeating the “Emptying of the Bottle” step too often, is not advised as it may result in an uneven flare.

STEP 5
You can sand the edges of the flare to make it smooth. Sanding is a good option. Also scraping the edges with a knife blade has good results as well
IMG_20190201_095456.jpg
The end result should be a flare of suitable dimensions to accommodate the designated rod.
IMG_20190201_095517.jpg
STEP 6
Cut the PVC tube, opposite end to the fared end, on an angle. Repeat STEP 5 to trim off the edges.
IMG_20190201_095536.jpg

Thanks guys, hope it has been informative.

Cheers, Bugatti

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Flared end to a PVC tube Surf Rod holder

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Makes the simple pipe look a bit fancy

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Very good :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:17 pm

smile0784 wrote:Makes the simple pipe look a bit fancy
Lightningx wrote:Very good :thumbsup:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, almost looks like a bought one lol. It does save on gouging the grips of the rod from the sharp straight edges of a normal one, well, when you are slack like me and just turf them in that is.

I even flare "fixed" rod holders that I have made, ie on the Bugatti Jetty Kart.
2.jpg
2.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
A good trick is to sleeve a thinner tube inside, to enable a holder that holds a larger rod, be able to hold a thinner rod without it slopping about in the rod holder and avoiding doing damage to the rods/rod butts or tangling up the rigs that are on the rods.

And it's a good way to store carry Beach Rod Holders. Have two, one at 40mm diameter and another at 50mm diameter. Both hold rods on the beach but the good thing is the 40 slides into the 50, so it's like only carrying/storing one (with the other slid inside).
IMG_20190201_095721.jpg

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Are bongs still illegal in SA?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Mattblack wrote:Are bongs still illegal in SA?
No, Bongos are legal
Bongo.jpg
:-D

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Are bongs still illegal in SA?
No, Bongos are legal
Bongo.jpg
:-D
:rofl:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

You lost me after step 2 and the photo of those bottles. #goingtobottleshop

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Thank You Mr. B :thumbsup:

You are certainly a breath of fresh air on this forum - hats off to you. Love your articles :notworthy:

But still think Vics beats SA's on all barred the Bugatti Jetty Car :)

PS - sure you don't want to a link to your private business website/Facebook/Instagram/Tweeters/Messenger account ??????

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Bugatti wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Makes the simple pipe look a bit fancy
Lightningx wrote:Very good :thumbsup:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, almost looks like a bought one lol. It does save on gouging the grips of the rod from the sharp straight edges of a normal one, well, when you are slack like me and just turf them in that is.

I even flare "fixed" rod holders that I have made, ie on the Bugatti Jetty Kart.
2.jpg
A good trick is to sleeve a thinner tube inside, to enable a holder that holds a larger rod, be able to hold a thinner rod without it slopping about in the rod holder and avoiding doing damage to the rods/rod butts or tangling up the rigs that are on the rods.

And it's a good way to store carry Beach Rod Holders. Have two, one at 40mm diameter and another at 50mm diameter. Both hold rods on the beach but the good thing is the 40 slides into the 50, so it's like only carrying/storing one (with the other slid inside).
IMG_20190201_095721.jpg
How you drive it mate?

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”