Has liked: 39 times

Re: Which is better?

Post by smile0784 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Ok well thats got to stay then

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

yeah personally id have them both facing straight to me.
plastic is speed sensor, but you wont really need it as the GPS will display your speed more accurately on the sounder anyway.
you may just have enough room to install transducer there, but im not sure if it will work well due to spray/turbulence from the old one.
you dont need a transducer for the GPS to work, so worst case scenario you can take the old one off and install new one in same postion. in doing that you however then cannot have the sounder function working on the older unit.

frequencies is what the sounder uses to shown up fish / arches etc, you can run a few different freqencies on both the units to suits your fishing conditions, to learn some more about it google lowrance frequencies

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:37 am

Will it cause less interface if i move the speed sensor to the middle and have a transducer on each side?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:40 am

purple5ive wrote:yeah personally id have them both facing straight to me.
plastic is speed sensor, but you wont really need it as the GPS will display your speed more accurately on the sounder anyway.
you may just have enough room to install transducer there, but im not sure if it will work well due to spray/turbulence from the old one.
you dont need a transducer for the GPS to work, so worst case scenario you can take the old one off and install new one in same postion. in doing that you however then cannot have the sounder function working on the older unit.

frequencies is what the sounder uses to shown up fish / arches etc, you can run a few different freqencies on both the units to suits your fishing conditions, to learn some more about it google lowrance frequencies
I rather not remove it if a dont have to.
I can see that if i only need it as a gps the transducer is pointless but still rather keep it as a full functioning unit if possible

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 am

I would leave the current transducer setup as is. Mount the other transducer for the new unit on the other side of the hull in the same position. That way you have two functioning sounders, one as a backup. That's what I did.

Take out the compass and mount the head units side by side, then Mount the compass to the left of the head units.

As mentioned you won't need the speed sensor as your GPS will be used for speed. You could remove it but meh, too much effort. Mine is pretty much in the same position and doesn't cause any interference

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 am

Also, you'll need to look it up in the lowrance manuals as I don't use that brand but you should be able to connect the head units through the NMEA inputs/outputs so you can send waypoints from the sounder to your GPS

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 am

The old transducer us mounted on a plate welded to the transom.
There is no plate on the left side of the boat

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 am

TheGreatestGoat wrote:Also, you'll need to look it up in the lowrance manuals as I don't use that brand but you should be able to connect the head units through the NMEA inputs/outputs so you can send waypoints from the sounder to your GPS
Sounds complicated but a good feature if it works

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 am

smile0784 wrote:
TheGreatestGoat wrote:Also, you'll need to look it up in the lowrance manuals as I don't use that brand but you should be able to connect the head units through the NMEA inputs/outputs so you can send waypoints from the sounder to your GPS
Sounds complicated but a good feature if it works
Not on these units unfortunately..

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 am

Ba hum bug lol.
Was getting my hope up steve lol.

I think nude up was trying something with his units

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”