DIY small floats

wazdog

Re: DIY small floats

Post by wazdog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 am

Hey mate, give foam ear plugs a try,I get them from work but bunnings or safety shops will have them.

savit

Post by savit » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:08 pm

wazdog wrote:Hey mate, give foam ear plugs a try,I get them from work but bunnings or safety shops will have them.
Thanks wazdog,
I have already some unused earplugs left from flights. I consider them for DIY surf poppers project with long shank hooks (still have to collect some small feathers). The problem is that is earpug foam is way too soft for small floats (7-10mm).

magpie_mick
Has liked: 21 times

Post by magpie_mick » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Masters still had some balsa wood at the Braybrook store when I was there last week. Very cheap!

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Not sure of the weight your looking to hold up with the float. If its not much then look at adhesive foam sheets of at craft shops usually A4 size and about 1mm to 1.5 mm thick. Cut out small peices and pinch two pieces either sideof your line. theyre about 3 bucks a sheet an will last forever!

savit

Post by savit » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Thank you guys,

magpie_mick, I will check if I have Masters close to my area.

piscateur, thank you for the suggestion, I will check my wife craft's boxes, may be she has already something. The weight to hold - is just 1 or 2 small empty hooks (2/4 size) + small leader. I like the adhesive idea - easy to attach or remove. I hope it will keep in the saltwater.

one2three

Post by one2three » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm

I found some plastic bead around 5cm oval shape that are brand new. They were used in the day to break up chemical in mixes.

Do I drill a hole in them and pinch the fishing line through it?

savit

Post by savit » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks one2three. 5 cm is way too large for me.

I tried 4-5 small different plastic crafts beads (which I used to use for whiting fishing in the past) - they just do not float. Also, tried green 'lumo' beads of several sizes from Ebay - they do not float as well.

one2three

Post by one2three » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:35 am

Hi Guys,

I got some oval plastic beads which are 25mmx35mm in size and hollow in the middle and weigh only 1.55 grams.

I can p**** a small hole each end to feed fishing line through them.

What I would like to know how do I determine what size and weight sinker is best used.

Many thanks.

:-D

savit

Post by savit » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:22 am

one2three wrote:Hi Guys,

I got some oval plastic beads which are 25mmx35mm in size and hollow in the middle and weigh only 1.55 grams.

I can pr*ck a small hole each end to feed fishing line through them.

What I would like to know how do I determine what size and weight sinker is best used.

Many thanks.

:-D
Sorry, one2three, I missed that part of your post that you were asking.

I would avoid small white/red hollow plastic floats with button as they usually sink very quickly once the water gets inside.

I believe that BigW sells 4 pack of small foam floats (50c each). They are 2 small sizes , excellent floating, easy to attach and remove. Otherwise
most of fishing tackle shops should sell similar small floats $1/piece.

However I would not recommend SMALL OVAL/ROUND (2/3cm) floats for their usual purpose - 'fishing under float' due to their poor bite sensitivity.

You can determine the required sinker weight by testing - get a piece of line, a float and a pack of split ball sinkers. Then add split sinker one by one and check the rig in the saltwater(preferably) until you get the required buoyancy of the float.

By the way , is that you - one of the 2 fishing guys on ice 'island' on the avatar picture? I miss my ice jigging time..

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:09 am

Cork from wine bottle - Cut and shape to suit using fine file or razor blade - Slice half way through length to put line through with razor blade.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”