Sounder/ GPS combo Advice needed

Barnsieboy

Sounder/ GPS combo Advice needed

Post by Barnsieboy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:50 am

Hey team

So the time has come to upgrade my unit to Chirp/totalscan technology. I really like the look of the Lowrance Elite 5 ti, this is mainly because of the Genesis insight capability. I really like the idea of creating my own charts/maps which is handy when fishing in lakes.

I am really after some advice here as it is quite an expensive purchase and I want to do it right.

What are you all using ? How do you find it?
Is it worth upgrading to the Chirp sonar ?
What are your recommendations?

Budget is up to $1000 I cant afford anything over that really.

Thanks a million everyone.
Barnsie

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Sounder/ GPS combo Advice needed

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:42 am

I woild go the 7imch over 5

Barnsieboy

Post by Barnsieboy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:44 am

For the bigger screen ? or does it have better processing power?

Cheers

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:36 am

I think they have the same processing power but don't quote me on that.

If you are intending on using sonar and charts at the same time in split screen i've found that 5 inch screen is just too small. You have to make constant adjustments and it's a real pain. It's fine if you are using one or the other separately. I think you would want every bit of the 7 inch screen running in split mode.

Can't really help out with regards to choosing a combo unit. I decided to go for a standalone Furuno sounder and hooked it up to my lowrance GPS. But if you are fishing lakes you probably want the sidescan/downscan technology. Having said that, I have heard good things about the Garmins

Barnsieboy

Post by Barnsieboy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:44 am

TheGreatestGoat wrote:I think they have the same processing power but don't quote me on that.

If you are intending on using sonar and charts at the same time in split screen i've found that 5 inch screen is just too small. You have to make constant adjustments and it's a real pain. It's fine if you are using one or the other separately. I think you would want every bit of the 7 inch screen running in split mode.

Can't really help out with regards to choosing a combo unit. I decided to go for a standalone Furuno sounder and hooked it up to my lowrance GPS. But if you are fishing lakes you probably want the sidescan/downscan technology. Having said that, I have heard good things about the Garmins
Cheers mate.

I have heard quite a bit about Garmin i definitely will not disregard them. And Simrad does the Go 7 which also looks very nice. I am honestly a bit lost at the moment there are quite a few good options. I think the 5 inch screen is out of the equation now.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:01 am

100% agree with Goat & Smile, don't go smaller than a 7".... touch screens are great if you have clean hands

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:58 am

TheGreatestGoat wrote:I think they have the same processing power but don't quote me on that.

I can't agree more, the larger screen is so much easy

Barnsieboy

Post by Barnsieboy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks Team.
Any favourite brands ?

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:07 pm

I was going to buy the Lowrance 7 ti but many of my friends ( and also on this forum ) did not recommended it at it is not easy to use if a bit choppy ( finger jumping with the waves) ..I did then buy the hook 7 and I do not regret it a bit

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Bryce.
i have the elite 7ti, its a great unit. i would also suggest going for the bigger screen specially if you split the screen for maps etc.
more than happy to show you mine if you need.
also the elite 7ti has bluetooth and wifi (not sure if the elite 5 ti has it) so you can connect a 10/12 inch tablet and control the sounder from there.
if the 5 has it then thats something you can consider.
tablets are cheap nowdays so a big 12 inch tablet will be awsome
i havent used mine with a tablet yet so im not sure if theres any lag etc involved.
the elite 7ti is now 1099 (with maps) so just a tiny bit more to spend.

maybe if you wait till christmas there might be even better sales.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”