Ally Boat Transducer Installation Recommendations

TheGreatestGoat

Ally Boat Transducer Installation Recommendations

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Hey All,

So I've got a new sounder on the way and I need to install the transducer. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most handy person getting around. I'd love to give it a crack myself, but I'm not particularly confident of doing a good job and I want to get it right.

Can anyone recommend someone who could install for me? I was looking at Nautek but it seems like they only do fibreglass boats.

Cheers,
Matt

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Ally Boat Transducer Installation Recommendations

Post by Mattblack » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:14 pm

What type of boat have you got?

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Mattblack wrote:What type of boat have you got?
It's a Stacer 420. It's just going to be a transom mount. I have looked at a few videos, it looks relatively simple but then again things always look simple until you actually have to do them

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:00 pm

No it is simple. transducer has to be in clean water. Sit down behind the boat and look up the underneath of the hull. It needs to be down towards the keel, but not where the motor will hit it. No hull bumps or protrusions or things in front of it. Face of the transducer pointing straight down and just below the hull. Mark where the bolts need to go, drill them, put a non acidic cure selastic around the bolt holes. Bolt it on. Tilt it on the adjustment so that it is very slightly pointing forward (rear end down). run the cable up over the transom and cable tie it off. Run it under floor up to where the sounder mounts, plug it in.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:25 pm

re-tyred wrote:No it is simple. transducer has to be in clean water. Sit down behind the boat and look up the underneath of the hull. It needs to be down towards the keel, but not where the motor will hit it. No hull bumps or protrusions or things in front of it. Face of the transducer pointing straight down and just below the hull. Mark where the bolts need to go, drill them, put a non acidic cure selastic around the bolt holes. Bolt it on. Tilt it on the adjustment so that it is very slightly pointing forward (rear end down). run the cable up over the transom and cable tie it off. Run it under floor up to where the sounder mounts, plug it in.
Yep...BUT..

measure twice or five times then drill ..lol

And check the weld is smooth from hull to transom to stop turbulence

There is a bracket that you can use to slide up and down...it makes adustments heaps easier
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:42 pm

+1 for the bracket Chris seafarer is talking about. Makes adjustments easy and allows you lift it up from under the hull if you need to dump your boat on the sand. DO not drill any holes in our hull below the waterline without being 1000% sure before you do! Measure, then measure again. If you mount too high up you won't have clear water running under the tranny and you'll lose bottom at speed and get lots of air bubble interference. Too low and you'll get a big rooster tail spraying salt water all over your outboard cowling. This is why the adjustable bracket is so great. They are about $25 I think, on eBay or at your favourite boating shop.

Also, if you have a standard rotation prop then You want to mount on the starboard side of transom. Usually about halfway between the centreline and the side but keep out of the way of strakes in the hull. Also be sure it won't get in the way of your trailer when going on or coming off.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Whatever type of sounder you bought they give really good instructions on installing the transducer you just have to download the info some times. Google transducer installation you will find loads of pictures and articles go to the boat ramp and look at other transducer installations. Just take yout time and you will do it just remember neutral cure silastic if it smells like vinigar its acidic and will rot your boat

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:08 am

quote="TheGreatestGoat"]
Mattblack wrote:What type of boat have you got?
It's a Stacer 420. It's just going to be a transom mount. I have looked at a few videos, it looks relatively simple but then again things always look simple until you actually have to do them[/quote]

Does it have a bracket like this?
Trans Brac.JPG

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”