Has liked: 15 times

Re: Car rod holders/storage

Post by Basti » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Side racks are made by inno

Rustie

Post by Rustie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:08 pm

ducky wrote:Hey guys.

Recently bought a new car, r51 pathfinder. Doing a small fitout including fridge, dual battery etc.

One thing I've wanted for a long time is a secure and safe way to store rods in the car without careless passengers/kids breaking them.

I've never had a car I can fit a rod loft or similar into but that's no longer the case. Now it's just a matter of buying/making one.

Does anyone have or have had these things in the past? The rod loft pro seems to be the best middle ground at around $150 but I just cannot find a supplier. The cheap strap one is around $30-40 delivered from the states. The ridiculously over engineered one is closer to $350 and way out of my price range.

There's also the option of making one like hundreds have using heaps of different materials. The most common is either wood or pvc piping. I have considered shaping a piece of aluminium flat bar to my roof profile and attaching some nacsan rod holders to it. These aren't the easiest things to take a rod in and out of but they hold them very well. I'm definitely in need of a secure way to fit them.

Open to any ideas.
is this the one u talking about ? http://www.backcountryracks.com/rodmoun ... rrier.html

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:12 pm

purple5ive wrote:Axle, Ducky.
is that a permanent mod to the car or a non destructive one.
im buying a rod tube for transporting i think, the reel will have to come off is the only issue with that
Steve,
The Rod Loft is a non destructive one, they come with a few mounting options, Ive just used the hooks that slides into the groove where the plastic meets ceiling lining.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:42 pm

Rustie wrote:
ducky wrote: The rod loft pro seems to be the best middle ground at around $150 but I just cannot find a supplier. The cheap strap one is around $30-40 delivered from the states. The ridiculously over engineered one is closer to $350 and way out of my price range.
is this the one u talking about ? http://www.backcountryracks.com/rodmoun ... rrier.html
Yeah that's the fly rod version but effectively the same thing. That mob don't ship out of the states.

Basti. It's inno that make the awesome one that's rock solid but it's $350 haha. Definitely not cheap.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:59 pm

This mobs got it.. says 2 in stock.

http://www.tackleandmarine.com.au/produ ... -rod-rack/
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:35 pm

ducky wrote:
Rustie wrote:
ducky wrote: The rod loft pro seems to be the best middle ground at around $150 but I just cannot find a supplier. The cheap strap one is around $30-40 delivered from the states. The ridiculously over engineered one is closer to $350 and way out of my price range.
Yeah that's the fly rod version but effectively the same thing. That mob don't ship out of the states.

Basti. It's inno that make the awesome one that's rock solid but it's $350 haha. Definitely not cheap.
haha i've got the company's page bookmarked as a "far future purchase" thing. they are around 200 yen on rakuten, which could be viable if the dollar wasn't so low

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?sm ... &tl=101070

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:31 am

Well. I bit the bullet and made my own. Absolutely rapt with it. Did the trial first trip this morning and they worked a charm. Total cost was $55 with $35 of it being the berkely twist lock rod holders. I'm going to pick up a 2 more twist locks so I can move rods as needed anywhere.

25mm dowel with large screw in hooks. (Masters 50% off. Get onto it) The back section hooked into some form of laundry hanger or cargo holder clip in the back of the car. Had to remove them and fit it then screw it back up. Pretty happy that they can't physically come out without a tool.

The front one clips onto the rear grab handles. The rods in the centre hang low because of the bloody DVD player. But when I put the side ones in they'll be mounted so the tips sit higher at the front.

The rod you can see close to the mirror is 7'8 that's sitting as far forward in the holder as I can get it. So I should be able to fit in 8'6-9 foot rods without too much drama. Happy days!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:49 am

Nice mate :thumbsup:

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:30 am

That's a great set up Ducky :thumbsup: unfortunately I only have a 2014 Ford Focus so either I still split the rods or if the rods are shorter than 7ft I just fold the back seat down and they come out over the front console til I get a bigger car.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:33 am

Very neat. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to have to do the same.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”