Use of Keel when using spinners.

Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Use of Keel when using spinners.

Post by Fisho11 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:31 am

Hi everyone,
Im just inquiring about the use of keels when using spinners. I use them at the moment but have noticed that some youtube fisherman have not had them on (from what I could see). How necessary are they? Are they only needed with Mono line?
Cheers
Fisho11

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Use of Keel when using spinners.

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:50 am

Fisho11 wrote:Hi everyone,
Im just inquiring about the use of keels when using spinners. I use them at the moment but have noticed that some youtube fisherman have not had them on (from what I could see). How necessary are they? Are they only needed with Mono line?
Cheers
Fisho11
That's a good question.

I would say that the majority of fisho's do not use keels when spinning or trolling for that matter.

There are keels on cowbells, and ford fenders to help prevent line twist. If line twist is a problem than keels can help prevent or minimise it.

So when it comes to using keels, it is user preference, unless you have a lure like the old aeroplane spinners that twist up your line.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:12 am

Cheers
Fisho11
Hi mate get in touch with meppstas he is a forum member and a really great guy :thumbsup: plus he is an expert on spinners and spinning for trout. Check out some of his posts and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Marty.A

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:24 am

I dont use them when trout fishing ......spinner or trolling I havnt needed them.

bn
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Fishomicko

Post by Fishomicko » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:08 pm

I don't know alot about them if u want a bit more depth when trawling there probly ok I usually just put on a diving lure for more depth

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Years ago I used keels when spinning but was told that fish are sometimes attracted to the keel and not the spinner so I stopped using them. (I don't know if that is correct or not)

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Kev209 wrote:Years ago I used keels when spinning but was told that fish are sometimes attracted to the keel and not the spinner so I stopped using them. (I don't know if that is correct or not)
Hi Kev, I had a small Redfin attack my keel instead my celta yesterday, was thinking of putting a small hook under the keel but decided against it.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Marty.A wrote:
Cheers
Fisho11
Hi mate get in touch with meppstas he is a forum member and a really great guy :thumbsup: plus he is an expert on spinners and spinning for trout. Check out some of his posts and I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Marty.A
Ill give that a go, Thanks Marty.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Fisho11 wrote:
Kev209 wrote:Years ago I used keels when spinning but was told that fish are sometimes attracted to the keel and not the spinner so I stopped using them. (I don't know if that is correct or not)
Hi Kev, I had a small Redfin attack my keel instead my celta yesterday, was thinking of putting a small hook under the keel but decided against it.
Probably not a bad idea having a small hook on the keel I have had reddies attacking the keel plenty of times. Keels are great for celtas and similar spinners with a spoon without a keel they can really twist the sh!t out of your line.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Fisho11 wrote:
Pretty sure Adrian actually paints his keels the same pattern as those little Mepps spinners he cleans up on and attaches a little fly hook to it so any trout that go for the keel are a chance of hooking up.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”