Keeping Cool

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Keeping Cool

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:28 am

A fisho needs a good esky for three reasons, keeping the stubbies cool, keeping the bait fresh and to stop the catch from spoiling.

There are multiple brands and types of eskies on the market and sizes.

So what size do you need?

I have a 40l Techni esky that I find is not long enough for some of the fish I have been catching. So my next purchase will be an Esky that is longer.

40l seems large, but put in some bait, ice and drinks and food, it shrinks in size. Obviously it is not a size that the landbased angler can carry.

Lately I have also been putting a soft sided esky bag in the esky and that keeps the frozen bait, frozen.

I also put water in the used 2 litre milk bottles and freeze them.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Keeping Cool

Post by davek » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:41 am

An esky is one of those things that is never big enough. The bigger it is the more you try and put in it. Some of the esky's I've seen of late need a trailer or ute to transport them. Then try and move it when it's full :( cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:25 am

davek wrote:An esky is one of those things that is never big enough. The bigger it is the more you try and put in it. Some of the esky's I've seen of late need a trailer or ute to transport them. Then try and move it when it's full :( cheers davo
That is true, and the size can be determined by the size of your boot. Personally when I bought the 40l I thought it was the ideal size, but I need to get one that is longer, so the next size will either be 50 or 60l in the long.

The long can fit nicely in boats.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:26 am

I am looking for the same thing, and torn between being big enough for everything, and too big that it takes up too much room in the boat. (4.55 tinny)

I am thinking it needs to be about 700mm internally long, so as too accomodate red carp nicely, but not hugely wide so it doesnt take up too much space in the boat.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:45 am

This is my esky and the Ocean Kayak people did a great job on this one

the esky and mounting kit weren't cheap but fits straight into the rear well , nice snug fit and has purpose built rubber straps to hold it in place

by the way its a meter long so most things we catch fit in it well , it also seals the juice in so we don't bleed a burley trail for some large unwonted interest

the lid is also a handy place to mount my EPIRB
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:58 am

That's insane Cheater.....

I dont' carry one. Too bulky and clumsy for what I do. Take bait in a bag strapped to the outside of my pack and hide it under a rock to keep it out of the sun. Put catch in a rockpool in the shade if i'm going to keep it but release most of my non-bait fish cos just like an esky, carrying an extra 10kg of fish out of a ledge is a pain in the ass.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:22 am

Try Sea Salt on ice - Google "Ice and Salt" - You will be surprised

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:22 am

russellh2 wrote:Try Sea Salt on ice - Google "Ice and Salt" - You will be surprised
Did that one day. I started with some live fresh water yabbies and wound up with frozen fresh water yabbies.

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am

i beleive in looking after my catch this is what i use in a 455 quintrex it fits bait as well as my fish i caught today
Attachments
DSC_1267[1].JPG
DSC_1272[1].JPG

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”