Bite detectors

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Bite detectors

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:40 am

I've just ordered a couple of battery operated ones with a motion sensor that makes the LED turn red and flash. I've never used them but I've seen a guy who has and they look the bees knees for night fishing.

Half the time you can't hear the sound of the bells over the surf anyway.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:49 am

4liters wrote:I've just ordered a couple of battery operated ones with a motion sensor that makes the LED turn red and flash. I've never used them but I've seen a guy who has and they look the bees knees for night fishing.

They wont detect the smaller bites and sometimes they don't detect the slow loading of the rod as many rays etc do.
Other than that they seem pretty good for the price. I've also ordered some and the OP already has them.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Brett wrote:
4liters wrote:I've just ordered a couple of battery operated ones with a motion sensor that makes the LED turn red and flash. I've never used them but I've seen a guy who has and they look the bees knees for night fishing.

They wont detect the smaller bites and sometimes they don't detect the slow loading of the rod as many rays etc do.
Other than that they seem pretty good for the price. I've also ordered some and the OP already has them.
Handy to know. However I use circle hooks for 90% of my fishing so I just needed something to let me know when to start winding it in, they seem to fit the bill for that. If I needed to strike on a small nibble I'd just hang onto the rod.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Brett wrote:
Finnigan wrote::crazy: Sometimes I get glowstick that come with just a plastic sleeve and no clip, how the hell am I meant to attach it to my rod?!?!

There should be a small length of tape in the packet, tape the tube to the rod, then put the glowstick in the tube
That's what I assumed there would be, I guess they forgot to pack tqpe in the Kmart starlight glow sticks! I just took it upon myslf nd got some cheap clear tape
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Finnigan wrote:
Brett wrote:
Finnigan wrote::crazy: Sometimes I get glowstick that come with just a plastic sleeve and no clip, how the hell am I meant to attach it to my rod?!?!

There should be a small length of tape in the packet, tape the tube to the rod, then put the glowstick in the tube
That's what I assumed there would be, I guess they forgot to pack tqpe in the Kmart starlight glow sticks! I just took it upon myslf nd got some cheap clear tape
never had tape in the glowstick packets i buy. you need a separate clip on holder for those

Corndiggly

Post by Corndiggly » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:53 pm

I have used my fair share of the above when doing overnighters for gummys, my preference are these ones as they are really loud and you need a solid hookup to trigger it, it wont go off with the wind;
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.28 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
For a visual one you cant beat the little glowsticks, they will last a week so can get a couple of sessions and pretty cheap when you buy in bulk.

I have also seen these used pretty effectively, they flash green and when you get a bit they flash red and are pretty good at figuring out a bite from the wind etc
images (1).jpg
images (1).jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
These ones are good for freshwater as they go off pretty easily so can detect smaller fish but not very good in windy conditions as they are too sensitive.
images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
Ebay is my friend :thumbsup:
Not a fan of bells - always end up losing them inadvertently lol

Has anyone used the coarse fishing/tripod style?

Loving these threads Wolly!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Mishachief wrote:using bread might confuse Fish-cador..lol...
LOL. just dont use butter.

The idea of using bread on the line will not work on my type of fishing. I fish when it's blowing cats and dogs with occasional flying cows.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:11 pm

I use my eyes. Bite detectors are little more than a gimmick.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:26 pm

ducky wrote:I use my eyes......
Good method but has its setbacks after dark! But I know where you are coming from!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 pm

This is one of my set ups. These alarms are very sensitive they picks up every little nibble. I have a few different types of alarms and set ups but this by far is my favorite.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”