Landing your catch

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Landing your catch

Post by seephil » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks poodoo for clarifying. I was thinking that but just had to double check. I've never caught tuna before, but thanks, I'll keep that in mind when i get a chance to target them

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:44 am

cheaterparts wrote:for those thinking about Kayak fishing

landing a squid safest way use a net that way it will ink in the net and less on you

Snapper - Landing net and larger fish leave it in the water in the net till you get your rod stowed out of the way and this gives you both hands to pull it on board
also if you are keeping this fish brain spike it before removing it from the net ( less fish dropped over board from bad juggling )

Gummy Shark - if tail roped by the leader just grab the tail and drag on board - in it's not tangled and coming up forward most times you can just drag it up on your legs by the leader
also remember that green gummies on board can be a handfull at any size - so play them for a while

most other fish caught in our bays ether just swing them in or use the net

don't use a small net mine is a larger net you would use for a boat and the handle cut down a bit , you can't move around like in a boat so a large opening is easier to use

hope that is some help
Any tips for dealing with stuff like gurnards or scorpionfish with their spikes? Can't imagine they'd be much fun to have thrashing around between your legs.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:06 pm

4liters wrote:
Any tips for dealing with stuff like gurnards or scorpionfish with their spikes? Can't imagine they'd be much fun to have thrashing around between your legs.
I do keep my scorps and yes they arn't for the faint hearted with all those nasty spikes

I net them and keep them over the side ( not over my legs ) cut the leader , I would prefer to re rig than play with them on the water
give them a bit of prest treatment
then sit side saddle and with pliers I lift them into the esky and at no time have them over my legs

once a shore and them then being dead care still needs to be taken

and while we are on the subject of spikey critters Elephant Fish can also be a worry , Ghurkin on Vyak found out the hard way what it's like to drop one spike down onto his leg
I net my Ellies and if I'm keeping one ( not that I take many ) break off the spike before bringing them on board
those that are going back I just tip out of the net without bringing them on board - less damage to the fish and to me
of cause returned fish don't loose there spike

Just working as safe as possible with all my catch
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks for that!
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:39 am

I've been hunting around for a telescopic net and can't seem to find one. Something small enough that I can hook onto my back pack would be best

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:05 pm

yearoftheroos wrote:I've been hunting around for a telescopic net and can't seem to find one. Something small enough that I can hook onto my back pack would be best
tackle direct did one cheap to buy and not too bad

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:37 pm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Space-Saver ... 1283453784

Found this one but might be a bit big to attach to the back pack

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:30 am

No 4 with me
Or the line gets caught around the gaff and breaks

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:31 am

seephil wrote:Thanks poodoo for clarifying. I was thinking that but just had to double check. I've never caught tuna before, but thanks, I'll keep that in mind when i get a chance to target them
Is that your stradic 5000 in your profile pic?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:33 am

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:
I do keep my scorps and yes they arn't for the faint hearted with all those nasty spikes

I net them and keep them over the side ( not over my legs ) cut the leader , I would prefer to re rig than play with them on the water
give them a bit of prest treatment
then sit side saddle and with pliers I lift them into the esky and at no time have them over my legs

once a shore and them then being dead care still needs to be taken

and while we are on the subject of spikey critters Elephant Fish can also be a worry , Ghurkin on Vyak found out the hard way what it's like to drop one spike down onto his leg
I net my Ellies and if I'm keeping one ( not that I take many ) break off the spike before bringing them on board
those that are going back I just tip out of the net without bringing them on board - less damage to the fish and to me
of cause returned fish don't loose there spike

Just working as safe as possible with all my catch

Safest way it best

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”