Warm jacket for fishing?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Warm jacket for fishing?

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Use multiple layers of ordinary long sleeved clothing or sweat shirts, then top it up with a wind breaker or rain gear. Works better than single thick jacket. If the sun comes up, just take of one layer to cool you down. I use t-shirt, sweat shirt then a hoodie . If it's windy, I grab the wind cheater as well.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Skunksta

Post by Skunksta » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I brought a water proof/ wind proof jacket from Aussie Disposal's. It has a hood with a cover for your mouth which helps with wind. Really warm have worn it with only a t-shirt underneath in pouring rain and it was not that bad. Its got 3 outside zip up pockets and 1 internal so plenty of room for accessories. Cost $59.95

Fishtofish

Post by Fishtofish » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 pm

the best way to keep warm n dry when fishing is through layering system.best way to achieve warmth and dryness for me is through merino wool clothing.have an icebreaker baselayer 200 and then a mid layer 260 and finally a rain n wind proof jacket from rain bird.the setup i have keep me warm and most of all i dont have the fishy smells even after a full day of fishing.the jacket might smells a bit but the rest is good as new.have even wear the base n midlayer clothing for a week and still allright.truely amazing stuff and worth every dollar.

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 am

Fish-cador wrote:Use multiple layers of ordinary long sleeved clothing or sweat shirts, then top it up with a wind breaker or rain gear. Works better than single thick jacket. If the sun comes up, just take of one layer to cool you down. I use t-shirt, sweat shirt then a hoodie . If it's windy, I grab the wind cheater as well.
I agree with you. I do the same thing wearing multiple layers of clothing, which is much more confortable for me to adjust to any weather conditions. Plus, don't feel like spending much money on any cloths for fishing purpose.

Head79

Warm jacket for fishing?

Post by Head79 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 am

If you are fishing from a boat, you should check these out. http://www.stormylifejackets.com.au/

If you can afford one they are absolutely fantastic..

strickland1000

Post by strickland1000 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 am

Hello.
Most of my fishing is land based on the beach or in estuaries, in all seasons. Have encountered the problem of keeping warm and dry and never really solved it satisfactorily until a month ago.
Have plenty of jackets that do not seal the wind out (primary means of venting warm air from jacket, letting in cold air from outside) of become ineffective at keeping sideways rain out after an hour or so.
After recently looking on this and other fora came to the conclusion that the people happiest with their lot were those that had purchased a jacket made for sailing. Seemed obvious / logical.
Went onto the web and looked for manufacturers. Found them including Burke, Gill, Helly Hansen and 2 or 3 others that seemed to have relevant products. Then spent a day visiting sailing shops to understand product quality and prices.
Settled on Burke Pacific Coastal jackets which retailed at Whitworths Marine for ~$200.
The next week (end July 2012) I spent 4 days at Mallacoota during which daytime temperatures did not exceed 14C and nighttime temperatures were much lower. The jacket enabled wind and water (even hours of sideways rain driven by wind) to be sealed out. Matched with pair of waders (Shakespeare bought from BCF) I found that I could climb out of this gear after a 5 hour session on poor weather and be warm and dry.
My wife who is less than fond of being outdoors in the wind and rain felt the same way with the jacket.
The only question that remained for me was why I did not make the change to this gear earlier.
Good luck with your search.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:05 am

I have a couple of stormy PFD jackets for fishing, bit I fish mainly from a boat.
If that's what you'ree also doing then I reckon the Stormys are hard to go past, although there are a few alternatives such as the Marlin PFD jackets, etc. They'll all keep ya warm as well as offer that safety factor.

If, on the other hand, yer land based then you won't need the PFD type of jacket.
In that case I'd recommend popping along to yer nearest Aussie Disposals store & buy a Ridgeline Mallard Jacket.
Great jackets that'll keep ya warm as toast & dry, for around $100 give or take a bit.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”