Home made down rigger

robbo101

Home made down rigger

Post by robbo101 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Thought I would knock up a down rigger with thoughts of heading to eildon in the next week or 2. Figured whats above the water is not so important but more whats under that counts. Was trying to do it on a budget. The only thing i have bought so far is a release clip and 100lb braid (cheap 100m for $10 not after best quality just strong and relatively thin)
Found some old window weights at the old mans farm, should work well for weights, streamline, heavy and free!
What does everyone think?
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Home made down rigger

Post by Redhunter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Lookin good! Great effort! Love the golf ball handle :) I'm not sure if 100lb braid is quite heavy enough, but you can certainly try. Maybe 200lb or more? Be aware that over time the braid will wear due to friction on the pulley points if constantly holding a heavy weight at a constant depth. Losing bombs and release clips and cowbells etc can be an expensive exercise. How heavy are the weights you intend to use? 1.5kg works for me as it can also be seen on a sounder, and is less wear and tear on the downrigger and its mounting point. But mine is mounted on the side (in front of me). Some people prefer 10lb bombs, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Do you have a half decent braking system on it?
They're a different way of trolling. Can be frustrating to begin with, but alot of fun at the same time. Good luck, and I hope it works well for ya :)

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:16 pm

nice!
I love homemade

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Thats a awsome effort!!!

Agree though...you need to put wire on it.....the bomb will get caught on timber heaps at eldion as you try to get yr lure close to the fish....the braid will snap on the trees ...put some wire on and it will last years

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:52 am

Cheers guys.
They guy in the shop tried to sell me 100lb wire for it... he said the wire tends to vibrate or hum at certain speeds. I will see how 100lb braid goes to start with. I intend to use old cast iron window weights. They are marked in pounds, the one hanging on it in the second picture is 8lb (sorry not the best pic), I also have a 10 and 4. thinking I might cut the 10 in half. The stopper system is very simple but should work fine.
As for measuring depth or line out, I have made the main wheel or spool exactly .5m for every turn so I should be able to count to 40 or so if the sounder doesn't pick it up. I think it should though. I haven't got any cow bells yet think they were only about $9 for a basic set.
My only concern is when it does snag that my stopper won't give way and potentially break something, maybe thinking I should make a system that releases once over a certain pressure to save myself some grief.
Thanks for the tips and advice!

Blue vlt

Post by Blue vlt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Well done mate on building it yourself. Let us know how it goes

andyk

Post by andyk » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Great job mate

vinalf

Post by vinalf » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:31 pm

How do I order one????

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 pm

tested it out today, worked brilliantly!
Better than I imagined and even got this guy from the depths! great success.
Attachments
trout pykes.jpg
trout pykes.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 777 times

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:07 pm

robbo101 wrote:tested it out today, worked brilliantly!
Better thank I imagined and even got this guy from the depths! great success.
Nice fish.
We're all thinking it
Attachments
BORAT.jpg
BORAT.jpg (58.86 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”