Wet weather gear.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Wet weather gear.

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 am

Well it looks like today and tomorrow and a few more days, will be a good time to get out and test out your wet weather gear, for dryness, and warmth.

As kid when my dad and uncle would take us up to the snowy, we got rather good at staying dry and warm, we had plenty of practise and believe me when you are cold, you'll do just about anything to get warm.

Bonds make these gran dad underwear, and having tried the latest in thermal wear, I still reckon that the gran dad underwear, long johns and singlets beat the thermals any time.

I think we had so many layers on that it took at least half an hour to get undressed. :crazy: :icon_lolz: :cold:

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Wet weather gear.

Post by seephil » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 am

It's always important to stay warm and dry. I too agree with you wholly, the thermals nowadays are not quite the same. Might be the materials that they use.
I usually wear long johns, jeans, and waders for bottom. Singlet, flannelette long sleeve, wholly jumper and a ski jacket for the top. Oh, and don't forget the beanie.

I find the 'warmest' clothes always tries to retain your body temp.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:08 am

Cold store Freezer suits are the go if you want something that really works.. not expensive IMO.

http://www.ozsurplus.com.au/our-product ... ezer-wear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.workinhard.com.au/Freezerwear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rcr.com.au/proval/freezer-wear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:25 am

Tested my ski gear out again the other day, worked a treat. Only basic Big W stuff (ski boots and pants) but it's great. Longevity might struggle but I've been impressed otherwise. Will most likely upgrade next winter to something more durable.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:35 am

Ive been sitting on a ski lift at hotham, when they shut it down during a sleet storm cos someone fell off. That was with reasonable quality ski gear. As ski jackets are breathable, water pooling in them will get through where it touches something on the other side. I got very wet. Probably wouldn't be too bad if your are standing up I guess as it would just run off. If you are going out in hard core rain I would be hesitant to rely on my ski gear.

Oh, also you shouldn't machine wash your ski gear or so Im told as it effects the waterproofing. You can get a spray from ski shops though to replace it. Im not sure how much of that is just marketting tho

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Some notes on Hypothermia and although Wolly bought up wet weather gear and staying warm I think the subject goes hand in hand

This was posted on the kayak forums - both VYAK and AKFF and aimed at kayakers there is worth while info that may help you at one stage or another
and well worth the read
Kayaksportsmark wrote:Now we are coming into the winter months, the air is cooler and the water even more so. Just by being out on the water in the cooler weather with cold wind, cold moisture in the air we have an added risk to our enjoyment and safety; and with the added risk of possible capsize and immersion we really do need to be educated and prepared. Lets look at Hypothermia, its symptoms, treatment and most importantly its prevention.

Hypothermia occurs when we lose heat faster than our body can produce it. Normal body core temperature is around 37`C, below this hypothermia develops. Factors that contribute to hypothermia include low temperatures, winds and damp conditions, as kayakers we also have water playing a large part. Heat loss from the body is 30 times more rapid when the skin is wet than when it is dry.

Kayakers get plenty of water on them even when they remain upright while paddling. So our risk of hyperthermia is greater than average. Refrain from alcohol as it sends heat to the skin which is then lost.

Hypothermia is defined as a core body temperature below 35`C. Symptoms include shivering, reduced energy, lapses of attention, nausea. As the internal temperature drops, people become more disoriented and irrational. At 30`C core temperature, shivering stops and muscle activity slows, unconsciousness may occur and become more prominent as the condition progresses, a desire to go to sleep becomes overwhelming. At 25`C the person may reach a state of coma.

Stages of Hypothermia and treatment:

Stage 1. Mild: 35`C
Maximum shivering, fatigue, nausea, confusion, poor coordination, slurred speech, usually conscious but with apathy and slowed thinking.
Treatment: Remove wet clothing, get skin dry and begin active re-warming. Protect from the elements. Give warm, sweet drinks, build fire, provide insulation such as sleeping bag or thermal blanket. Monitor condition.

Stage 2. Moderate: 30`C
Most shivering stops, muscle cramps and rigidity, disorientation, sleepiness, consciousness clouded, breathing and pulse become slow and difficult to detect.
Treatment: Requires evacuation to a warm environment and medical evaluation. Handle patient with gentle care. Lay flat and insulate, give warm drinks if conscious and able to swallow, gentle re-warming is required so DO NOT rub or massage nor expose them to excessive heat e.g fire.

Stage 3. Severe: 25`C
Progressive loss of consciousness, heartbeat irregularities,, pupils fixed and dilated, coma like, cardiac and respiratory arrest.
Treatment: Immediate evacuation, monitor condition, may require basic life support/ CPR.

Of course, the best treatment is PREVENTION. Dress for the environment and the fact you will no doubt get wet. Be aware of the initial signs of hypothermia and get out of the water and warm again before it gets worse.

What to wear:
• Most heat loss is through the head so a beanie (wool or fleece) or a neoprene skull cap is advised,
• Your hands will be in the water a lot so neoprene gloves are a great idea, special paddler gloves aren’t as thick in the palm and fingers so allow a good grip on the paddle, even the fabric lined kitchen gloves can be used
• Your feet will get cold in the hull of your boat so neoprene booties, neoprene slippers or neoprene socks are good.
• For the legs and upper body it depends on the temperature, you may choose thermals, wetsuit,fuzzy rubber tops and pants, spraytop/cag or a drysuit or a combination of them. Light layers of suitable clothing are best. Avoid heavy clothing and be aware that waders are a potential drowning risk if you end up in the water.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PFD. and it is recommended you kayak with a friend and carry the minimum safety gear with you.

Stay safe this winter and enjoy your kayak fishing.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”