Snorkel Set - Beginner

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
sidrx

Re: Snorkel Set - Beginner

Post by sidrx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

There's a place in Hallam called Dive Gear Australia (http://www.divegearaustralia.com.au/). The guys there go diving a few times a week. They have snorkelling/spearfishing/freediving/scuba gear. They have good prices on some products. Look and shop around!

I'll have Cable installed on the 2nd March, so I'll be able to upload all the videos from my speargun cam :D most of the time I'm stuffing around :P

stevenbourke

Post by stevenbourke » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Dive Victoria in Portsea hooked me up with some ideas when trying masks on and it's good advice.
First try the mask on looking straight ahead and press on with moderate pressure and see what it feels like. Is anything touching, perhaps your nose is touching the frame of the glass. Bad fit! Or your head won't seal well on the sides because you have a skinny head so you had to press hard, try another mask. Perhaps it presses hard on your gumline under your nose. After an hour or so of diving your teeth will have pushed backwards a little and sometimes your top teeth will close down on the bottom teeth, not good anytime, try another mask until you only have masks that fit with no pressure on the nose or upper lips or gaps on face from a bad fit.
Then once you get a few that are fitting well put them together and then whilst looking upwards place the mask on your head, no strap on! and without breathing in see how well they sit. Breath in through your nose and see how easily they suction to your face without using your hands. I guess the best that fits best ie no pressure anywhere and suctions easiest is probably the one you will buy. Soft silicone is also good. Good luck

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Cheers Steve, very useful.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Im actually thinking bout giving snorkling ago this year, Does anyone know if its possible to get pippis, mussels or scallops, maybe even bigger crabs anywhere? I dont know what snorkel set i need, just depends on what is actually available to target. I havent got a spear gun, maybe after a few times in the water I will fork out for the gun...

I guess what I really wanna know is if I buy a snorkel set and flippers have a I got any hope of divinah anywhere in melb for mussles pippis, scallops or crab?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

crumpet avenger wrote:Im actually thinking bout giving snorkling ago this year, Does anyone know if its possible to get pippis, mussels or scallops, maybe even bigger crabs anywhere? I dont know what snorkel set i need, just depends on what is actually available to target. I havent got a spear gun, maybe after a few times in the water I will fork out for the gun...

I guess what I really wanna know is if I buy a snorkel set and flippers have a I got any hope of divinah anywhere in melb for mussles pippis, scallops or crab?

Yes you can. When I get a chance I'll search the data for you. maybe even use google, or perhaps you could do a search for Charlie Micallef, Savage Seas.

I think they might have even mentioned a few scallops in one of the fishing reports for Peninsula total tackle.

Adventure bound also did a program on collecting a seafood smorgasbord out of port phillip bay.

If you watch channel 31 one of the programs will eventually repeat on that subject.

sidrx

Post by sidrx » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 pm

I heard that Rye is a good place to dive for scallops :) in approx 15m of water. Enjoy!

Just make sure you got strong legs cause the current can get pretty strong down there, especially the back beaches (if you want some rock lobster)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 am

Mick

I put 'finding scallops port phillip' into google and got this response.

http://www.diveexperience.com.au/PortPh ... sites.html
http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/i ... opic=60461
http://www.diveoz.com.au/DISCUSSION_FOR ... C_ID=16535
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Port-Phil ... 7894174445

Now for all this work, I reckon you should throw a few my way when you get some. :Jump: :Fish: :dinner:

If you read the Peninsula tackle report
http://www.peninsulatotaltackle.com.au/ ... esternport
It also mentions scallops.

Raptor

Post by Raptor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 pm

It doesn't matter which brand of fins, snorkel or mask you buy, what is important is that they fit you properly. Generally freedivers use soft black silicon masks which are low volume. the black silicon blocks light coming in from the sides and helps you concentrate on what's in front of you. the soft silicon is important for a comfortable fit, and the low volume for equalising a mask at depth. go to a few dive stores and try on every mask they have, then choose which is best for you.

Scallops are right through the bay with the greatest concentrations between Dromana and Sorrento. Rye is a good area, but gets flogged. the depth can be as little as 3-5m with the big ones in 12m+. pippies live in the sand on the beach, so no point looking in the water. Mussels live on the pylons and structure in the bay, be careful taking them anywhere north of Frankston as the water has higher concentrations of heavy metals stirred up due to the bay dredging.

Freediving/spearfishing in Victoria is pretty popular and some great catches are taken by those who persevere, including; crayfish, kingfish and even tuna

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”