Snorkel Set - Beginner

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
Mick.S

Snorkel Set - Beginner

Post by Mick.S » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Guys

As I live in and around Black Rock/Beaumaris area, I have considered to give snorkeling a go, mind you, I don't know much about quality snorkeling gear, but have seen few sets at Rebel and Anaconda. Would appreciate if people could give some advice what would be worth getting and if those set (mask, fins, snorkel) as Rebel/Anaconda are worth getting?

Thanks

vinhii

Re: Snorkel Set - Beginner

Post by vinhii » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 am

Hi Mick.S

Whats your budget buddy? like for snorkel and flipper/fins wise?

blackrock/beaumaris is a great area just watch out for those stingrays though ;)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am

Given that those snorkel sets range about $70-120 from those outlets, that is what I was planning to spend, but just not sure if those sets are any good? I'm sure some of you guys actually use more professional gear, but any that can recommend something in that range, that would be good?

Thanks

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm

to be honest i wouldnt spend money on those sets only cause i myself had bad experience with them and also my mates.

but i guess its a good learning experience but in the end youll might regret it cause the quality of the flippers are plastic and not so great.
in the water wild diving at certain points youd wanna try stand up etc , And you might accidently buckle the plastic flipper/fin and end up snapping it in half which will turn your day into Sh#ts.

I rkn best ya can do is search around on ebay and look for some fins.. they might be some cheap second hand ones.
but you can always start out with some simple easy flippers. all up to you in the end of the day.

try look for the brand "cressi" long blade fin.. they should be some second hand cheap ones that are good quality , i got the professional ones but you dont have to go spending $300-400 on just fins loool!

and as for the snorkel make sure you find something with a silicon mask , not plastic! cause youll find the lower quality stuff just makes your diving experience sh#t. i hope that this info helps ya.. if theres any questions feel free to ask :)
Last edited by vinhii on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Cheers mate....appreciate the advice

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 387 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm

these guys will sort you out:
http://www.academyofscuba.com.au/onlineshop.php

There are in Bourke Road, Glen Iris.

Sorted me out with an Ocean Pro wet-suit for $80 which suits my needs for now
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 pm

do when we going spearfishin jon ;)

sidrx

Post by sidrx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm

You can pop in to the stores and try fitting masks and see what you like. If you want to go deep diving, I recommend a low volume mask. Type of snorkel you want depends on what you're doing, also. A straight through piece without a surge is preferred for freediving/spearfishing. You can get the ones with a purge & dry tip but really should only be using this if you're going to be floating around and not diving down to where the fish are.

Like what Jon mentioned about AOS (Academy Of Scuba) they are very helpful and their prices are about the same as what you'll find anywhere in Melbourne. Girl name Kat, that works there, is very helpful. Their main store is located in Rye, so they don't hold too much stock in the Glen Iris store

(Here's a little story) I walked out the store (AOS), go to cross the road (GREEN WALK LIGHT!) and a cop car almost wiped me out completely. No sirens, no lights, just speeding through a fkn red light. Luckily they swerved and missed me, unfortunately the missed, in a sense, cause I could have sued the **** out of the driver + vic police or get a VERY nice out-of-court settlement fee.

http://www.scubastore.com/ will sort your out with cheap prices and quick delivery, considering it's being shipped from Spain. They offer good customer service and high quality gear at VERY cheap prices.. price + postage is sometimes still half of what you'll find in anywhere in Aus.

REMEMBER- to keep safe and have all safety gear. ******* some idiots on jetski's deserve to have a 6.5mm dual flopper spear through them.

Flood with questions if you want/need any help

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi everyone

Appreciate all the help and support....yes the very first thing that popped into my head was safety, and snorkeling/diving around Blackrock with a overloaded boat ramp meant I need to get a extra large spearfishing float first and foremost, I have seen boats come so close to the shore, you literally can cast right over them, especially on a nice warm day.

I will certainly look and pop into the mentioned shop/s and see what they can do for me....and in the meantime, I have organised with a good mate from Geelong to borrow his spearfishing gear (the whole lot) and go spearfishing with him. He will take me along and give me intro course and intro dive, before venturing on my own.....Hoping we get the opportunity to head out this Saturday :thumbsup:

Here is some of his work....

http://vimeo.com/7859248

sidrx

Post by sidrx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Pro tip: Remember to equalize

[youtube]rxdDIwVWrxI[/youtube]

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”