Diver killed by boat

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Diver killed by speeding boat

Post by rb85 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:43 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:32 pm
Sad outcome.
But dont always blame the boat guy straight away.
Many a time I have seen divers without flags . And even with flags they can be hard to see. Add some choppy conditions and it's a suicidal mission for the divers.
Not to mention snorkelers that shouldn't be in areas where there's high boat traffic.

I heard it was a speed boat. That's even less of a chance to see the divers if they are going at high speed.

Condolences to the family...
Laws need to change and divers need to be a lot more visible when in the water. Maybe hi vis strobes or bigger flags perhaps.
Agree 100% we need all the info rather than jumping to conclusions. Find it strange the police are searching for the driver surely they would know something was hit.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:54 pm

Not if they just clipped them or down near transom or with the skeg could just feel like a bit of chop if travelling at speed
Like others have said need all info before jumping to conclusions just cause it was travelling fast doesn't mean it was a small vessel
And i agree with bigger flags or signs or maybe a mandatory ais systems hooked into the gps network
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Very sad and tragic.

Condolences to the family and to all those that were involved in dealing with the incident, would have been hard on everyone.

Regards, Bill

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 05, 2019 8:52 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:32 pm
Sad outcome.
But dont always blame the boat guy straight away.
Many a time I have seen divers without flags . And even with flags they can be hard to see. Add some choppy conditions and it's a suicidal mission for the divers.
Not to mention snorkelers that shouldn't be in areas where there's high boat traffic.

I heard it was a speed boat. That's even less of a chance to see the divers if they are going at high speed.

Condolences to the family...
Laws need to change and divers need to be a lot more visible when in the water. Maybe hi vis strobes or bigger flags perhaps.
Until Police complete their investigation and Coroner makes their findings circumstances that may or may not have contributed to this situation are a matter of conjecture.

It is true that a person in the water is very difficult to see and as such there are laws in regards to the speed at which a boat can travel at close to shore.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Yeah police were asking if anyone's seen the boat around. 18ft white boat with a red/maroon canopy.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Just remeber before blaming the diver most dive flags are only 40cm by 50cm that are most common for those not diving from a boat and boaters should also rember within 5 meters you have to be going slow aswell. this could also be a combination of issues, including a panicked diver caught in rope and accedently cutting the flag and having it drift off.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon May 06, 2019 1:42 am

Along the grapevine the boat in question was only travelling at a brisk walking pace and there was only random orange poles in the water for 20 or so minutes before the cries for help were heard.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard divers completely disregard regulations and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard boats completely oblivious to dive flags in the water.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon May 06, 2019 2:07 am

Xmas just gone at the St Leonards Boat Ramp Jetty their were about 7 young guys and Gals approx age 17 ,diving off the jetty between many many boats, big fun day for them but no good if you were a boatie and hit one.

tracks

Post by tracks » Mon May 06, 2019 8:34 am

What a terrible accident,
There has been many close calls and incidents since the divers flag was changed from full red with a white diagonal stipe, this was easily seen from a good distance, now some government bright spark decided to have it changed to white with a blue dovetail, which blends in to blue water and white chop, just can't understand why they changed it and I think divers and clubs should get together and start pushing to have the flag back how it was.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon May 06, 2019 10:58 am

tracks wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:34 am
What a terrible accident,
There has been many close calls and incidents since the divers flag was changed from full red with a white diagonal stipe, this was easily seen from a good distance, now some government bright spark decided to have it changed to white with a blue dovetail, which blends in to blue water and white chop, just can't understand why they changed it and I think divers and clubs should get together and start pushing to have the flag back how it was.
Someone must be up for the Einstein award right there

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”