Lure colours?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Allsorts

Re: Lure colours?

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Honestly - you guys sound like members of a retail cult that has no basis in what I see underwater.

If I'm being honest - some of you sound like you have zero experience apart from what you been told by manufacturers who tell lies to take your money - being able to quote from catalogues is a trait I value slightly above being able to tie your own shoe laces ;-)

The bull dust you have been indoctrinated to believe that is crucial to success, is actually hurting your bag - but what ever - Its amusing to real fisho's to hear the new breed talk nonsense

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 pm

[quote="Allsorts"]AGGrh - for you blokes who buy into the bull dust that comes out of the manufactures who decide the colours for squid jigs.

You must be getting paid to sprout this nonsense - half of you wouldnt even know a full list of actual bait fish that calamari feed on in northern PPB.

If you actually dunked your head underwater and stopped listening to marketing - you would see yourselves for the fools you were.

If any of you blokes with an intricate knowledge of light spectrum's has ever got there hair wet and seen squid feeding on natural forage - you'd understand why they grow so fast in such a short period of time

p.s. its got nothing to do with polarized light

When i think about it you are actually right.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Allsorts wrote:AGGrh - for you blokes who buy into the bull dust that comes out of the manufactures who decide the colours for squid jigs.

You must be getting paid to sprout this nonsense - half of you wouldnt even know a full list of actual bait fish that calamari feed on in northern PPB.

If you actually dunked your head underwater and stopped listening to marketing - you would see yourselves for the fools you were.

If any of you blokes with an intricate knowledge of light spectrum's has ever got there hair wet and seen squid feeding on natural forage - you'd understand why they grow so fast in such a short period of time

p.s. its got nothing to do with polarized light
I use to get my hair wet, until I was told if I continued to dive I'd go deaf.

The reference about the ability for squid to see, is conducted by marine scientists. Not manufacturers.

The point is that squid have better vision than we mere humans have and although they see in the monochrome world, they can see much further into the ultraviolet spectrum than we can, according to marine scientists. Where we need a artificial light source for night dives, many fish get by really well at night.

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
I use to get my hair wet, until I was told if I continued to dive I'd go deaf.

The reference about the ability for squid to see, is conducted by marine scientists. Not manufacturers.

The point is that squid have better vision than we mere humans have and although they see in the monochrome world, they can see much further into the ultraviolet spectrum than we can, according to marine scientists. Where we need a artificial light source for night dives, many fish get by really well at night.
When you used to get your hair wet - how often did you watch squid hunt - and did the squid in you area show a preference for a particular prey item.

Or were you too busy trying to spear them to watch their behavior

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Its very interesting to watch the change in mood of the species in your immediate area when you enter the water as a predator as opposed to an observer.

The reason the guys with the cameras get great shots if because they have learnt to move in a non threatening manner

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 pm

Allsorts wrote: half of you wouldnt even know a full list of actual bait fish that calamari feed on in northern PPB.
14t minnows, NAEBA mullet and rui banana prawns presumably
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:34 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
For example to our eyes, red is the first colour the becomes black in the water column, this eventually happens when it deeper than 15 metres.

Infrared disappears at the surface, followed by red, orange, yellow, green then blue, then interestingly as I have just discovered violet and ultraviolet are blocked at shallower depths.

I searched for colour wave length and water.
Woolly I'm interested to know where you found that violet and uv disappear at shallow depths. My understanding is that a color's depth at which it disappears is related to its wavelength (like in a rainbow), which is why red disappears first. Violet and uv should disappear last, in that case.

I also wonder if there is a difference between surface and underwater colors. I remember one time when I was spear fishing with my brother and he was putting his knife into a fish to kill it, the blood was greenish. Would this mean a red lure at 20 ft would look the same as a green lure at the same depth?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 am

tropicalfisher wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
For example to our eyes, red is the first colour the becomes black in the water column, this eventually happens when it deeper than 15 metres.

Infrared disappears at the surface, followed by red, orange, yellow, green then blue, then interestingly as I have just discovered violet and ultraviolet are blocked at shallower depths.

Woolly I'm interested to know where you found that violet and uv disappear at shallow depths. My understanding is that a color's depth at which it disappears is related to its wavelength (like in a rainbow), which is why red disappears first. Violet and uv should disappear last, in that case.

I also wonder if there is a difference between surface and underwater colors. I remember one time when I was spear fishing with my brother and he was putting his knife into a fish to kill it, the blood was greenish. Would this mean a red lure at 20 ft would look the same as a green lure at the same depth?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_vision

The above link shows about ultraviolet, but I don't think it was this page that I got that information off of.

And my search parameters were colour wave length and water!

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
tropicalfisher wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_vision

The above link shows about ultraviolet, but I don't think it was this page that I got that information off of.

And my search parameters were colour wave length and water!
That is very interesting. I am still doing research on why blue light travels the deepest before absorbing. It seems that it has to do with Rayleigh scattering (there is a Wikipedia page on this, as well as on penetration depth). Interestingly, absorption goes up on both high frequencies and low frequencies, and I guess reaches a low point which coincides with blue light. I am going to ask my brother about it; he is a mechanical engineer and probably understands it better than I (chemical engineering).

It is also worthwhile to note while choosing lure colors that the type of water does influence absorption. Pure water will absorb colors a bit differently than coastal or offshore waters, due to plankton, dissolved solids, etc.

Return to “General”