Lure colours?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Lure colours?

Post by Basti » Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 am

Allsorts wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
4liters wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
I've been there aswell, I've watched the white lure get taken, when the beige one was ignored.

Some blokes would have said - why didnt you switch to the off-white, the bone or the ivory - and I would have said - because the bait school is sitting at 14 ft - not 10ft, and you're starting your retrieve 5 seconds too early and havent taken into account how long it takes to let your lure sink because you are using " 1/8th" jigheads that actually weigh 1\10th - and your 20lb leader sinks much slower than my 10lb in this current - so you are jigging them 5 seconds before the enter the zone :)
You forgot the cream
The "Cream" used to be my "Secret Weapon" until you mentioned it :-D
Squid love the cream as well. More importantly colour is important when targeting cephalopod.
I was told Squid see in 50 shades of Grey and dont possess the necessary rods or cones to see all the colours of the rainbow - but I spose when your an expert in grey - you can tell the difference between light grey and dark grey.

P.s. someone needs to tell Port Phillip Bay squid that there hasnt been a prawn sighted in PPB since Captain Cook arrived - yet prawn style jigs are still the best way to land them - if their eye sight is that good - why do Port phillip bay anglers pay $30 to imitate a food source that doesnt exist in PPB.

Squid are dumber than you think ;-)
squid see polarisation of light, so they can tell tell the difference between colours with ease, and probably the difference between red foils from different manufacturers.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:58 am

Basti wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
4liters wrote: You forgot the cream
Squid love the cream as well. More importantly colour is important when targeting cephalopod.
I was told Squid see in 50 shades of Grey and dont possess the necessary rods or cones to see all the colours of the rainbow - but I spose when your an expert in grey - you can tell the difference between light grey and dark grey.

P.s. someone needs to tell Port Phillip Bay squid that there hasnt been a prawn sighted in PPB since Captain Cook arrived - yet prawn style jigs are still the best way to land them - if their eye sight is that good - why do Port phillip bay anglers pay $30 to imitate a food source that doesnt exist in PPB.

squid see polarisation of light, so they can tell tell the difference between colours with ease, and probably the difference between red foils from different manufacturers.
Different shades for different days. Don't think the squid care for the manufacturers colour pattern name though.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

Allsorts wrote:

The squid jigs that we buy are not meant to imitate prawns. To us they may look like prawns but to squid they imitate fish. When you cast and let them fall and then retrieve them, they move and imitate swimming and wounded bait fish and in no way they move like prawns. Colour is important for visabilty in certain conditions - with silver the best in middle of the day, Reds are better as you head toward dusk and dark. There are even ones that reflect UV.

Joe

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri May 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:
Allsorts wrote:

The squid jigs that we buy are not meant to imitate prawns. To us they may look like prawns but to squid they imitate fish. When you cast and let them fall and then retrieve them, they move and imitate swimming and wounded bait fish and in no way they move like prawns. Colour is important for visabilty in certain conditions - with silver the best in middle of the day, Reds are better as you head toward dusk and dark. There are even ones that reflect UV.

Joe
I come from a diving/spearfishing family so I've spent a bit of time underwater observing how squid pods move around - I've also done a heap of prawning over the last 30 years - and in short - you have no idea what you're talking about and should refrain from typing so confidently on this forum.

First point - the fact that squid jigs are shaped like prawns is no accident - "The squid jigs we buy are not meant to imitate prawns" - You should probably listen to some Japanese jig designers and ask them why they design jigs that look like prawns

"they move and imitate swimming and wounded bait fish and in no way they move like prawns" - I've seen prawns react to bream chasing them - squid chasing them and octopus chasing them - I've also watched them flee from flounder lights and spot lights - both above water and through a mask.

I imagine your personal field experience in the way a prawn flees its prey, is limited to pure imagination -

I like shooting off at the mouth at any given chance, and your thoughts on how a prawn moves are inconsequential to the effectiveness of prawn style jigs.

But the confidence with which you type, far outweighs your knowledge

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 am

Allsorts wrote:
I come from a diving/spearfishing family so I've spent a bit of time underwater observing how squid pods move around - I've also done a heap of prawning over the last 30 years - and in short - you have no idea what you're talking about and should refrain from typing so confidently on this forum.

First point - the fact that squid jigs are shaped like prawns is no accident - "The squid jigs we buy are not meant to imitate prawns" - You should probably listen to some Japanese jig designers and ask them why they design jigs that look like prawns

"they move and imitate swimming and wounded bait fish and in no way they move like prawns" - I've seen prawns react to bream chasing them - squid chasing them and octopus chasing them - I've also watched them flee from flounder lights and spot lights - both above water and through a mask.

I imagine your personal field experience in the way a prawn flees its prey, is limited to pure imagination -

I like shooting off at the mouth at any given chance, and your thoughts on how a prawn moves are inconsequential to the effectiveness of prawn style jigs.

But the confidence with which you type, far outweighs your knowledge

Wow that was not nice nor pleasant. :cheers:

Yes i have prawned in the past with lights. No I don't' spear fish....Yes I catch and bag out on squid....I might just have a great imagination....also..... :o_0: .

Have a listen and watch this youtube video and tell us what you think.... If you don't have the time or patience to watch it all - start at 15 minutes onwards and then have your say.....You say that there are no prawns in Port Phillip Bay yet the squid take prawn looking bait....all the time.... not worth the argument... just watch the video.... I hope it makes sense :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/d34Lhl0puF0

Now chill and loosen up..... its only a fishing forum and everyone is allowed to have an opinion....

Joe

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Sat May 27, 2017 2:03 am

Blueyed1 wrote:

Wow that was not nice nor pleasant. :cheers:

Yes i have prawned in the past with lights. No I don't' spear fish....Yes I catch and bag out on squid....I might just have a great imagination....also..... :o_0: .

Have a listen and watch this youtube video and tell us what you think.... If you don't have the time or patience to watch it all - start at 15 minutes onwards and then have your say.....You say that there are no prawns in Port Phillip Bay yet the squid take prawn looking bait....all the time.... not worth the argument... just watch the video.... I hope it makes sense :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/d34Lhl0puF0

Now chill and loosen up..... its only a fishing forum and everyone is allowed to have an opinion....

Joe
I stopped entertaining the notion of following your suggestions after the first couple of blunders ;-)

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Sat May 27, 2017 2:29 am

cool
Last edited by Allsorts on Sat May 27, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 27, 2017 6:21 am

Allsorts wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
4liters wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
I've been there aswell, I've watched the white lure get taken, when the beige one was ignored.

Some blokes would have said - why didnt you switch to the off-white, the bone or the ivory - and I would have said - because the bait school is sitting at 14 ft - not 10ft, and you're starting your retrieve 5 seconds too early and havent taken into account how long it takes to let your lure sink because you are using " 1/8th" jigheads that actually weigh 1\10th - and your 20lb leader sinks much slower than my 10lb in this current - so you are jigging them 5 seconds before the enter the zone :)
You forgot the cream

read the following link it is about squid eyesight

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/cephsc ... Vision.pdf

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 27, 2017 6:39 am

Firstly Squid see polarised light
Secondly they can see further into the ultra-violet than we can
Thirdly the squid we catch are colour blind.
Fourthly 50 shades of grey is a book, humans it seems can only see about 30 shades of grey. and around a million different colours.

The Egi come prawn debate is a tiresome one, sure to us it looks like a prawn. I can't remember the exact details, but the design shape works and it has been around for centuries.

I have even had a penguin dart out from under sorrento pier to inspect a jig I was using.

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm

AGGrh - for you blokes who buy into the bull dust that comes out of the manufactures who decide the colours for squid jigs.

You must be getting paid to sprout this nonsense - half of you wouldnt even know a full list of actual bait fish that calamari feed on in northern PPB.

If you actually dunked your head underwater and stopped listening to marketing - you would see yourselves for the fools you were.

If any of you blokes with an intricate knowledge of light spectrum's has ever got there hair wet and seen squid feeding on natural forage - you'd understand why they grow so fast in such a short period of time

p.s. its got nothing to do with polarized light

Return to “General”