Corner Inlet Entrance - when's slack tide?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
PhilN

Corner Inlet Entrance - when's slack tide?

Post by PhilN » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering how to time slack tide (eg no tidal flow) at Corner Inlet entrance? Is Port Welshpool high/low tide a good marker to predict it?
Thanks,
Philn

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Corner Inlet Entrance - when's slack tide?

Post by rb85 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Look up tides for Singapore Deep they are on fishranger.

Cheers
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:32 pm

Thanks rb85,

Decided I'm going to go down Monday morning. Offshore to the Islands. I'm not going to get down there by the early morning flood slack.
It's a big tide, fairly modest westerly/Sth Westerly, low swell and I'll probably go through when the ebb current's ripping out. Haven't been there for years but can remember what a pain it can be.
Thinking of going near Rabbit Island first anyway - anyone know - is the Western "shortcut" to Rabbit Island ok in these conditions? Near full ebb tide flow on a big tide (say 9:30am Monday). Or is just going straight out probably ok? (5.75M glass boat)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:47 pm

How did you go?
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:37 pm

I'll give a long answer, in return for the good info I get when I search the history of this site - there is some good information. Due to Covid etc I haven't fished down at Welshpool for years so have forgotten the currents, behaviours etc. Please - if you a local and I say something wrong - correct it...All of the below is in slight to moderate SW winds and low swell
I have had some bad experiences at the entrance years ago so I was concerned given the big tides on the days down there...
1/The entrance was fine - even on a big run out. The key factor seemed to be a lack of swell (and wind against tide)
2.Singapore Deep/5-wasy was the main pain with wind against tide (incoming or outgoing) - much like Westernport north arm on a big tide with wind against tide
3/I'm getting soft in my older age. A few times I did the "Rabbit Island shortcut". It was dead flat even at peak run out tide. I did this at low tide on a big low tide day no drama. Min depth ~3.5m on a very low tide. But I could see going straight out was fine (very low swell)
4/Coming back from "The Ovals" to the "Rabbit Island shortcut" on a strong outgoing tide - gets to about 3.5M deep and a bit lumpy about half way but it was fine
5/The info from a Scott Jennings post May 22, 2017 is bang on (eg hugging Snake Island except low tide) (Attached his drawing below)

The fishing>?
I went mainly for Kingfish. Spent most of my time at White Rock and Seal Island for zip. (Too slack to try the other islands).....Would of thought they would be there now in numbers but not for me......The water was not clear blue and a bit of weed about - maybe due to the big tides? There is a damn seal at White Rock that is completely trained to follow boats and spent a lot of time driving off marked fish or doing seal handoffs to others...:-) He is a major pain.....Flatties West of White Rock were awesome - heaps of good sized.
Attachments
Corner inlet.jpeg

Return to “General”