Telescopic rods

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
mr plow

Re: Telescopic rods

Post by mr plow » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:33 pm

Their crap don't get one. Try and find a Berkley nomadic

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:14 pm

N.S did a good one for about $160 I think but I can’t find it on the website, it only shows the super light trout ones. Might be an old model.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:56 pm

I bought a $30 Katmandu from Anaconda a couple of years ago, I got it so I could carry a crappy rod in my backpack when deer stalking, it's an absolute belter. It gets bashed around and has had heaps of punishment, both in my backpack and while fishing and it's still in one piece with all it's guides intact. I wouldn't have achieved anything different by getting a more expensive rod. I've got an old Shimano Stradic 1000 on it which has also held up to the punishment.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:37 pm

greggo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:56 pm
I bought a $30 Katmandu from Anaconda a couple of years ago, I got it so I could carry a crappy rod in my backpack when deer stalking, it's an absolute belter. It gets bashed around and has had heaps of punishment, both in my backpack and while fishing and it's still in one piece with all it's guides intact. I wouldn't have achieved anything different by getting a more expensive rod. I've got an old Shimano Stradic 1000 on it which has also held up to the punishment.
Some of the coolest trout water I’ve come across has been when deer hunting. Good idea. A few mates got talking about it one day and reckon a tenkara setup would be awesome for it. I know one bought an outfit but dunno if he has broken it out yet.

I’ll head to anaconda/bcf and see what they’ve got

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:46 pm

ducky wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:37 pm
greggo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:56 pm
Some of the coolest trout water I’ve come across has been when deer hunting. Good idea. A few mates got talking about it one day and reckon a tenkara setup would be awesome for it. I know one bought an outfit but dunno if he has broken it out yet.

I’ll head to anaconda/bcf and see what they’ve got
i often think i should throw mine in my pack when im hunting, yes great trout water in sambar country.

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:50 pm

I've caught some solid PB's on my Jarvis Walker telescopic from Kmart. Feels like an absolute clunker but it does the job. Probably a bit too heavy for what you're doing but FWIW, I wouldn't overlook a brand like Jarvis Walker just because it's cheap.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:42 pm

for anyone thats interested, i saw a youtube vid a while back of some telescopic rods that were supposed to be pretty decent, they had floating guides, someone may have even posted it on here, i cant remember now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbo8U_ ... L&index=58

the kastking blackhawk 2 and the PLUSINNO look alright.

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:57 pm

So I went to anaconda tonight to suss out a couple rods. The eclipse were the no brainer Rod to get because the 6 foot was $17 and the 7 foot was $21.

The butts are that short they won't sit in a snapper rack. It's incredible how short they are.

The Abu Garcia tracker were slightly longer but only mm's. Still too short for the snapper racks. At $50 each they are a waste of money. Components are the same quality as the eclipse rods.

Had a quick play with the maikuro at $80. Nice rod. Good feel for what's ultimately a 7 piece rod. But I know I'm gonna snap the delicate tip sliding it out in a hurry haha. Literally too nice to abuse in the way I'm planning.

Back to the drawing board on this one. I'll suss out bcf and hopefully those spectrums are slightly longer. But I doubt it.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:45 pm

If the butts dont fit, maybe make a sleeve that fits in the rack first, PVC or some type of foam.
I'm just thinking out loud. ;-)

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:06 pm

Taking the punt on a couple of these.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Rod ... 56-20017-0

Return to “General”