no fish at Portsea Pier lately ?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

no fish at Portsea Pier lately ?

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:05 pm

This morning i arrived at Portsea Pier to do some land based fishing.
I got there at 4.45am pretty much at the peak of high tide, targeting whiting using fresh pippies and squid for bait.
I fished there until about 10am, and i must say i was pretty schocked not to catch anything appart from 2 undersized flathead !
and nobody else was getting much either....not sure whats going on there this can't be normal???
I know at night a lot of people catch Mackerel and Tommy Rough there , not sure if that's got anything to do with it...

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Re: no fish at Portsea Pier lately ?

Post by Aaron75 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:20 pm

The water in the bay is still a little murky from the rain we've had in the last few days. On piers close to the sea, like Portsea, you'll notice that the water on the incoming tide is nice and clear but on the outgoing tide it is dirty. Don't bother fishing after high tide when it's like that IMO

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:30 pm

I think today was just a slow day, I fished St Leonards this-morning 10AM-2PM catching only a single squid, only thing decent I saw caught along the whole pier was a single trevally.

I think we've had some wild conditions in the past fortnight We went from a gale easterly (peaked 100km gusts @ South Channel) to a strong North wind, only to be followed by a full moon and 40mm+ of rain. Run out tide @ St Leonards was clean, run in was murky.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:40 pm

Whiting don’t seem to mind dirty water so it probably wasn’t that
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:40 am

Clear water for Squid
Murky/dirty water for Whiting

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Hatetangles » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:30 pm
I think today was just a slow day, I fished St Leonards this-morning 10AM-2PM catching only a single squid, only thing decent I saw caught along the whole pier was a single trevally.

I think we've had some wild conditions in the past fortnight We went from a gale easterly (peaked 100km gusts @ South Channel) to a strong North wind, only to be followed by a full moon and 40mm+ of rain. Run out tide @ St Leonards was clean, run in was murky.
Yeah maybe they just weren't around today for whatever reason....

Return to “General”