Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
minimal

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by minimal » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Caught my first fish (an undersized Pinkie) on Brighton Pier. Desperate to get it back in the water, I ran down the rocks, slipping on the slime. The fish took a nice high trajectory back towards the sea and I ended up balls deep in the drink.

My hand was also cut to shreds from the sharp spines on the fish. A bloke and his son sat and laughed as I made my way back to my fishing perch.

It was pretty damn cold but I didn't want to lose face, so I baited up, casted out and sat back in my spot. I was dripping wet and there were puddles of blood at my feet. I carried on as if nothing had happened.

I probably lasted about 15 minutes longer and the whole time, I was quietly praying that I didn't hook into another!

MattypVic

Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by MattypVic » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Last night was fishing off the beach going after gummies,
Had a pilchard shoved in a small squid hood on a 7/0 hook for bait.
I had noticed I was get some strange bites where my rod was getting pulled and stopping and I couldn't hook up after a while I brought it in and there was a little bit of weight,
As I got it to the shore I saw a squid holding the bait and it dropped it close to shore so I ran in and managed to grab it before it took off . cut it up and used it for bait but unfortunately didn't bring any luck and was the only thing caught from 630pm to 3 am

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:37 pm

damnnnnn minimal that mustve sucked big time... i wouldve called it and went straight home lol
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:41 pm

ah pinkies.....

I was fishing in lagoon pier a year or 2 ago and there were tons of undersized pinkies. They were too small to do any damage so I just held them with my bare hands until one of them got wild and my thumb fell victim to the gill razor. That was the bloodiest cut I ever had while fishing. My thumb got sliced half way through :doh1:

when I was a kid, a lot of catfish barbs ended up on my tiny hands. Boy those hurt a lot and even my balls shrunk in pain. :doh1:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Linc

Post by Linc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
when I was a kid, a lot of catfish barbs ended up on my tiny hands. Boy those hurt a lot and even my balls shrunk in pain. :doh1:
My old man got spiked by a gurnard a couple months ago, I told him he should have more respect for those things... he sure does now! he said it was absolutely the most painful thing he's experienced in his life - went to the hospital and all they offered was warm water and an aspirin.

Steff

Post by Steff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I docked my $6k half cabin at st.kilda marina last year and came off the trailer without it started. Anyway i slid off the trailer and begin cranking it to start it, but it wouldn't start. I went strait into a 500,000k "ship" . It made the bggest bang ever and everyone at the marina had their hands on their head in disbeave! Luckily no damage! Lol worst day ever, nothing was working out.
Reason it didnt start is because i didnt flick the fuel on. Lol never made that mistake again let me tell ya. Lol :captain:
So i went fishing on her birthday, .. Hey! She'll have another one!

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Lol something that just happened today.

Was on the way to the entrance and saw a bait school being attacked by salmon. I had a light spin rod so I thought I'd give it a go, and second cast hooked onto a decent sized salmon that gave quite a fight. Got it close to the boat when it went right under the boat, it jumped on the other side of the boat straight on the seat. So the line was under the boat and up round the other side, was quite funny.

Also was drifting in 12m or so of water and got my line tangled up with my mates and a third line we had out all together. After finally untangling the 2 other lines off mine, the boat had swung round and my line was now hooked on the underside of the boat, on the speedometer. It was a hot day so I decided to jump in and unhook it after failing to get it off any other way. What to ya know, a gummy was on the line the whole time, even though it took nearly 20 minutes to unhook everything

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Steff wrote:I docked my $6k half cabin at st.kilda marina last year and came off the trailer without it started. Anyway i slid off the trailer and begin cranking it to start it, but it wouldn't start. I went strait into a 500,000k "ship" . It made the bggest bang ever and everyone at the marina had their hands on their head in disbeave! Luckily no damage! Lol worst day ever, nothing was working out.
Reason it didnt start is because i didnt flick the fuel on. Lol never made that mistake again let me tell ya. Lol :captain:
Oh Steff were do you hide after that experience I feel your pain brother
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm

kitchenwench wrote::whoh: My god!! I just read through all these and have gone white!!! I had no idea fishing could be so dangerous!!

Hmmmnn...not so much dangerous as it kinda finds out who the biggest idiots are and makes them suffer either or both physical and mental pain...

Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm

@scott_henning Jeezus...cringed just reading that!
@FishSamFish Who needs burley with a mate like that!

Here's one...
A buddy of mine took his old man's boat out years ago, launched at the ramp, and, wait for it...forgot to put the bungs in. :shock:
Swell was good out at three mile reef (three miles offshore :shock: ) so they stopped for a quick surf.
Left his (non-nautical) missus on the boat reading a book, while a couple of them paddled out.
About fifteen minutes later they (finally!) heard his missus screaming her guts out trying to get their attention. :shocker:
They look over and see the gunwale on about a 40' angle with almost half the boat underwater!!! :help:
Paddled back just in time to throw a life jacket on the now mega distressed missus, as the boat went fully under and capsized. No chance to radio Sea Rescue or salvage the EPIRB.
LUCKILY...another boat was on it's way out about five minutes later and they managed to get their attention by yelling/screaming for help.
Too may lessons learned to list them all, but always having your jackets, flares and EPIRB handy, and making sure EVERYONE on the boat knows how to use them are pretty good ones.
Oh yeah...and put your bungs in. :doh1:
Needless to say, he's never lived it down.

Things could've been much worse though. Stay safe out there.
Always log in with your local before heading out, and let them know if you change your plans.
Club sandwiches not seals.

Return to “General”