Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
FishSamFish

Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Just curious, because 'stuff' always seems to happen to me no matter what, so I'm asking, what are some things that you've done or things that have happened while you were fishing?
Here's a few of my most recent:
-Forgetting I'm not on a boat (where I normally clip my rod to the boat) and setting the drag fairly high and watching a rod and reel go harpooning off the pier
-Dropped my landing net off the boat to watch it almost instantly sink
-went to stand up on boat, and a hook that concealed itself in the carpet, entered my finger, resulting in it having to be pushed through, de barbed and removed
-drove under a bridge in the yarra and chopped the tops off some rods
-wasn't watching whilst driving (no boats around, checking gps), hitting a wave in the boat and seeing all contents sitting in the bait board tray go to the ocean floor, including knives, bait, plyers and tackle.
-demonstrating how a gaff works and gaffing my foot (not serious but bloody sore)
-Iki Jime on a flathead and having it spike me hard upon dying, leading to an infected finger and three courses of antibiotics
-sticking my finger inside a snapper's mouth thinking it was dead. actually hurts a bit.

and yet I manage to never cut myself with a knife while cleaning fish or anything serious serious c:

edit: there is also a reason why you shouldn't, when bored after hours without bite, try fly fishing with mono and a sinker.

nhillboy

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by nhillboy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Stay far away from me when i am out fishing, you are jinx'd.... :grin: :lolf: :cheers: funny stuff Sam.

banjo

Post by banjo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Copped a load of seagull crap in the face while reeling in a nice bream.
Got a hook stuck in my nose the first time I took my future wife fishing. She just pissed herself laughing.
Had a my biggest salmon nicked by a huge Pacific Gull.
Saw my reel spool come undone and land in the drink along with the star drag and nuts while playing a trevally.
Sigh, some mothers do 'ave em.

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm

nhillboy wrote:Stay far away from me when i am out fishing, you are jinx'd.... :grin: :lolf: :cheers: funny stuff Sam.
nono, I bring good luck c:!
I caught a 4.5kg Snapper off a 1inch grub that I rigged for flathead, on a 1-3kg outfit. I had fresh salmon steaks on the other rods and nothing. I have to be good luck!

that aside, lol at the bird crap. I've had seals steal fish but never birds, mind you, I have a 4oz sinker with a 12kg spin outfit, that is kept close by for those birds :crazy:

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Hey Sam you sure your not Mr Bean?
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Beno

Post by Beno » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Made my day Sam while reading this, thanks for posting! :victory:

A few minors I have encountered.......

Holding down hook with nibble tip rod, then let go... hook ended up going through lip, I know now what it feels like.... lol.
Lost five rigs in five casts!
Got stuck in the quick sand at Stockyard.
Rod tip snapped off while casting.
Got slightly hooked in the face while someone was casting.

There would be more, so hard to remember since there has been so many trips!
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 pm

i caught a fish
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Fish-cador wrote:i caught a fish
only one?

Linc

Post by Linc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I was fishing out the end of the Lee breakwater in Portland with an unweighted whole pilchard catching salmon when an albatross flew past and swooped up my bait right infront of a bunch of tourists watching it with binoculars... reel started screaming, then I locked up the drag and the bird came tumbling to the water making the most terrible sound! It took a while to reel him in and even longer to untangle the feisty bugger but he managed to fly off after the event.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Lifted the rod out of the rod holder so fast that I pulle the rod holder off and into the drink.

Pulled in the anchor only to find there was no longer an anchor at the end of the chain.

Got hit in the face by an over enthusiastic salmon jumping out of the water.

Hit a wave so hard that my mate flew overboard. (classic)

Was tying a rig, had the hook attached already and it was trailing in the water, and te flathead that my mate had just released went straight for my bare hook and took the whole rig down with it :S

Not me, but watched some bloke pull his boat out of the water at the boat ramp, and he must have forgotten to put the chain on cos the boat slid straight off the trailer on to the concrete ramp (talk about cringeworthy, after seeing that I ALWAYS double check it haha)

Return to “General”