Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
minimal

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by minimal » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 pm

This is a shameless repost from another forum (apologies if it's already been listed), but in keeping with the above story - remember kids, safety first on the water!

There are some funny and tragic moments - particularly the closing dialogue where the bloke explains he has filled his yak with water to give it stability, then falls over in 2 feet of water. Priceless!

[youtube]5tcqCscAaOY[/youtube]

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm

when i was back in the states quite a few years ago i took my cousin out fishing with me in a 16 foot aluminum flat bottom boat in lake ponchartrain. we went out to about the middle of the lake under the causeway toll bridge. my cousin had a new bait caster reel he was going to try out. he set up the line casted it and hooked a car on the bridge. all you could hear was zzzzzzzzz as the line ripped right off the real in record time lol.

another time i took him fishing we went out in one of the bayous to fish. we spent all day with no fish biting. we decided to go home and on our way a 15 pound asian carp jumped out of the water and hit him right in the nose. since we were going about 25 miles per hour and the fish was probably going at least 10 mph it broke his nose.

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I borrowed a friends boat for a couple of hours, against better judgement. **** always happens when you borrow stuff. Found a nice little spot and lowered the anchor off the bow, let the chain run over my hand and watched it dissapear into the depths. Anchor rope not attached. Very embarrassed when i returned the boat, sans anchor. Turns out mates kids had been using the rope to pull a billy cart. I will nevere borrow anything again. I still owe him an anchor.
Another time I was sitting on my but on the Hervey bay pier when somthing hit my rod hard. I jumped up so fast I put a 6cm tear in my calf muscle. Thought I had been shot. Had to walk backwards, carrying the gear and holding frozen squid on it all the way to the car coz I couldn't put pressure on my toes. Week off work and never saw the fish.
Murlz
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:30 pm

@Tomcat1 Ahahahahaha! Hooking a car!? First time I've heard of that! Classic. And getting sconed by a carp that size at that speed!? I'm surprised it didn't knock his block off! :roflmao:
@Murlz Ha! I can imagine your face! :shock:
Club sandwiches not seals.

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 am

Leftcoaster wrote:@scott_henning Jeezus...cringed just reading that!
@FishSamFish Who needs burley with a mate like that!

Here's one...
A buddy of mine took his old man's boat out years ago, launched at the ramp, and, wait for it...forgot to put the bungs in. :shock:
Swell was good out at three mile reef (three miles offshore :shock: ) so they stopped for a quick surf.
Left his (non-nautical) missus on the boat reading a book, while a couple of them paddled out.
About fifteen minutes later they (finally!) heard his missus screaming her guts out trying to get their attention. :shocker:
They look over and see the gunwale on about a 40' angle with almost half the boat underwater!!! :help:
Paddled back just in time to throw a life jacket on the now mega distressed missus, as the boat went fully under and capsized. No chance to radio Sea Rescue or salvage the EPIRB.
LUCKILY...another boat was on it's way out about five minutes later and they managed to get their attention by yelling/screaming for help.
Too may lessons learned to list them all, but always having your jackets, flares and EPIRB handy, and making sure EVERYONE on the boat knows how to use them are pretty good ones.
Oh yeah...and put your bungs in. :doh1:
Needless to say, he's never lived it down.

Things could've been much worse though. Stay safe out there.
Always log in with your local before heading out, and let them know if you change your plans.
I've got my epirb tied to a foot of string and a bit of foam noodle as a float. hopefully will save it should the need arise LOL

Beached

Post by Beached » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 am

Nearly sat on a brown snake last week
Dont worry about tomorrow, dont worry about next week, live for now and long live the weekend.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

Steff wrote:I docked my $6k half cabin at st.kilda marina last year and came off the trailer without it started. Anyway i slid off the trailer and begin cranking it to start it, but it wouldn't start. I went strait into a 500,000k "ship" . It made the bggest bang ever and everyone at the marina had their hands on their head in disbeave! Luckily no damage! Lol worst day ever, nothing was working out.
Reason it didnt start is because i didnt flick the fuel on. Lol never made that mistake again let me tell ya. Lol :captain:
Remind me of a similar thing happened at Mornington when all the luxury boats were hanging around.

Was just a noob at that time and only fish on the odd occassion. One night when i was trying to cast on the inside of the rock wall ... after flicking the rod, i heard a big "CLINK" ... my sinker has hit one of those really expensive "cruise liner" .. next thing i heard a voice called out "What do you think you're doing?" .. bloody almost wet my pant ... brain was working how to dammed explain this one and how am i going to pay for this? ... luckily the voice in the dark just said "Just bloody be carefull next time" .. Quickly bolted to the pier and stayed there for the rest of the night .. now always check where i am casting :lolf:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Had a boy's weekend on a houseboat at Eildon years ago when a mate was casting lures with a new bait caster, unfortunately he wasn't good at it and the lure came back and hit me on the ankle. bloody ankle was knackered and couldn't walk on it for days, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 pm

A certain someone (not me) was being cocky and trying to get as close as possible to the bridge pylons along the marby a few weeks ago. Caught the bridge. Not the pylons, no that would be too easy. He caught the handrail on the bloomin top of the bridge where the cars are zooming past.

Was a pissa !!

He had to walk all the way up beside the traffic to get his lure back.

Dufus !!

:lolf: :lolf:

Amanda

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 pm

I'll admit , I've hooked myself in the back of the head years ago while casting a lure, double 3 prong , one in the back of the head behind the ear and the other through my ear. All the result of a cheap reel that would flick the bail over by itself sometimes while casting !. Had to goto the doc to have it removed.
Still got the scar behind my ear and this is 17 years later ! . Fishing memories , what it's all about ..lol :))
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “General”