Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by Truedogz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:50 pm

This podcast with Australian Nobel Prize winning immunologist Peter Doherty is worth listening to:

https://theconversation.com/politics-wi ... ine-134795

What he states is pretty well what I have previously summarised.

There are some worrying signs in Victoria about the strategy with calls for going down the path of the Chinese approach to control. It is quite understandable for those in power to be concerned as we have just lost three Victorians. Our state leaders are clearly caring human beings worried about potentially thousands of deaths. There is too much sniping from the media and of course social media is out of control. Bob Hawke once said that the key to successful political process is providing information to the public to carry them forward. It is probably fair criticism that both Federal and state leaders have not adequately communicated their strategies. But if we had this level of discord in WW2 we might have lost to Japan. Our leaders will make mistakes at times but what we must not do is by failing to follow their directives and empowering political sniping force their hand or worse divide them.

The top experts on pandemic control have said even if we went earlier with a total lockdown at best we had a 50/50 chance of pulling it off and eradicating the virus. We don't have China's social/ political structure and compared to say Singapore we don't have the testing and tracking infrastructure to carry out an intense tracking program. China is not out of the woods either it can re-emerge at any time. If you look at how people are behaving even under the present conditions could we achieve high compliance with a total shutdown? New Zealand is having a crack with some chance of pulling it off and ditto for Tasmania. Their circumstances are a bit different and the number of ICU units available in part drives their approach. Being small and distant from other land masses they also have a better ability to control their borders. But there is a real chance of failure.

It is basically a war setting and there will be casualties. Unfortunately, good leadership in such crises entails making tough decisions with sometimes having to choose the lesser of two evils. If we don't go hard enough this thing rapidly gets out of control and we end up like Italy. If we go a bit too hard and flatten the curve too much the restrictions stay in longer prolonging the pain experienced by the nation. If you go much too hard and shut it down, only for it to re-emerge again and again you could initiate social breakdown. How long would Australians put up with a real lockdown aka China? If there was a prospect of a vaccine in under 6 months you might do it, but even Peter Doherty is saying doing it in less than 12 is unlikely.

I really feel for all of our political leaders who find themselves in dreadful circumstances.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Truedogz a couple of great explanations
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm
I really hope no one actually gargled bloody hydrogen peroxide because of that facebook post from another thread.
Gargling hydrogen peroxide is not of itself an entirely bad thing. Obviously you don’t swallow it and the concentration must be correct (around 1% I believe). And no, it won’t cure/prevent the bat sniffles. You can buy it from the pharmacy, I have, and gargled it at the direction of the dentist for an infected gum around my wisdom teeth. I ended up having the wisdom teeth removed and mate can I tell you, my mouth never felt fresher!

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4570 ... ne/details

Edit. My mouth felt fresh from the hydrogen peroxide. Not from removing the wisdom teeth, although that was a good feeling too after the swelling went down and my face no longer resembled a pear!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 pm

skronkman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm
croe04 wrote:
I really hope no one actually gargled bloody hydrogen peroxide because of that facebook post from another thread.
Gargling hydrogen peroxide is not of itself an entirely bad thing. Obviously you don’t swallow it and the concentration must be correct (around 1% I believe). And no, it won’t cure/prevent the bat sniffles. You can buy it from the pharmacy, I have, and gargled it at the direction of the dentist for an infected gum around my wisdom teeth. I ended up having the wisdom teeth removed and mate can I tell you, my mouth never felt fresher!

Edit. My mouth felt fresh from the hydrogen peroxide. Not from removing the wisdom teeth, although that was a good feeling too after the swelling went down and my face no longer resembled a pear!
You know some chud is going to gargle high test peroxide because higher concentration is better right? Then spill it and set fire to the carpet.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 pm
skronkman wrote:
croe04 wrote:

You know some chud is going to gargle high test peroxide because higher concentration is better right? Then spill it and set fire to the carpet.
Haha. Stoopid is as stoopid does. You’re probably right about the first bit but luckily hydrogen peroxide is non flammable, so carpet should be fine.

I hoped the webmd link would absolve me of all responsibility!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:46 am

skronkman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm
4liters wrote:
skronkman wrote:
croe04 wrote:

Haha. Stoopid is as stoopid does. You’re probably right about the first bit but luckily hydrogen peroxide is non flammable, so carpet should be fine.

Peroxide can definitely set fire to stuff, it’s not flammable itself but it releases oxygen which is really good at burning things. It’s also explosive enough that it’s a fairly common rocket propellant used on its own.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 am

4liters wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:46 am
skronkman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm
4liters wrote:
skronkman wrote:
croe04 wrote:

Peroxide can definitely set fire to stuff, it’s not flammable itself but it releases oxygen which is really good at burning things. It’s also explosive enough that it’s a fairly common rocket propellant used on its own.
All true. I think NASA is sourcing it in slightly higher concentrations than what is commonly available from chemist warehouse though. I just read on Wikipedia that buying in concentrations above 35% will put you on a list at the US Dept. of Homeland security too. I fear we are veering off topic now.

Moral of the story, nobody should gargle rocket fuel in an attempt to cure the WuFlu on the good carpet or in fact ever.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:17 am

skronkman wrote:
croe04 wrote:

Correct. Though most of the hydrogen peroxide available for household purchase is usually around 3-6% and definitely shouldn't be gargled. Like 4litres said I wouldn't be surprised if some hero went off drinking lab concentration peroxide lol

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 am

As expected, the USA is now the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, with 83,000 confirmed cases, 13,000 new today. No surprises if there are way more than reported.
Italy's not far behind either.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:24 am

croe04 wrote:
Gonna quickly stress two things:
Wash your hands. With soap. Lots of people seem to be under the impression it doesn't do anything, but a key structure of SARS-CoV-2 is a thing called the lipid envelope. Its essentially a casing of fats that surrounds the virus along with its other membranes. Soaps break down lipids, so by washing your hands you effectively destroy the viruses lipid envelope and break the virus apart.
Also be very mindful of misinformation. At this stage anything that isn't from a government or authoritative body should be subject to the utmost scrutiny and taken with the smallest grain of salt until you can check its legitimacy.
Hi croe - even though you aren't a government or authoritative body, you've indicated some knowledge on various topics about the virus and was curious to ask you a question about soap.

With so many variations of it available on the market now (bog standard, completely natural, hand gels, hand washes, foaming soaps, antibacterial soap,etc) - do you have any lens on what soap types (or ingredients to look for) that help with the lipid envelope breakdown and what ones do nothing other than just make your hands smell nice?

Return to “General”