Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Aimless wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:18 pm
4liters wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm
Aimless wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am
US is, as usual, a total basket case.
Not wrong there, damn
Absolutely crazy stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if their numbers were absolutely sky high compared to what's being reported. There were reports months back of cases in most major cities, and little to no testing.

I'm just looking at the data from the Vic Gov here. I am in Stonnington council area which (yippee?) is the worst affected in the state so far, according to their map. Looking at the data, almost all cases here came from people flying back from the USA.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... ViOWYyOCJ9
Yeah, they've got very narrow testing criteria in a lot of places, and plenty of the red states would prefer not to know about it at all.

When you think about the size of the US population, and the comparatively small number who are actually traveling overseas at the moment, the numbers of people from the US getting pulled up after testing positive points to a massive number of un-diagnosed cases over there.

It's going to be an absolute bloodbath when it gets into some of those mega churches full of overweight rednecks with high blood pressure...
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

video of corona virus infected lady spitting on fruit is allegedly fake

https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... 1386ba5960

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:46 pm

social distancing, the airports just dont get it!!

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 72429c79c7

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

well, more stuff being shipped overseas that could have been used here, all legally done though, still a bit disappointing for the locals here

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... 25c56e7cec

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pm

In more wholesome news, Marto from BerleyPro is making plastic masks for hospital workers, paramedics etc while the market for kayak parts has dried up

https://www.berleypro.com/product/face- ... 6RrJbVR9YQ

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am
Amber alert to my good friend Jasonfish1234

Is my boy still alive?
JsonFish1234 came through my mind when reading about the real mental issues as the consequences of being isolated from society.

Hope he is going okay in dealing with the current situation.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm
well, more stuff being shipped overseas that could have been used here, all legally done though, still a bit disappointing for the locals here

Certainly there's nothing illegal but if it is true (given so many fake news on social medias nowaday) then the moral/ethical question needed to be asked!!

Hope our government (at all levels and from all persuasions) open up their eyes in dealing with this crisis and start thinking about re-establish the long lost manufacturing sectors so that the same mistakes are not repeated for future crisis. We have been so heavily depended on China for all our goods and supplies that in such a critical time we can't even produce our own masks or surgical overalls for our medical staffs.

There's a ray of hope in my heart when ScoMo announced the National Covid19 Commission the other day to look into ways to solve the current problems by mobilising our different industries/sectors to work together - a small step toward total self sustain for future crisis i hope.

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:14 pm
Hi People

A number of people I have run into over the past few days have sought from me an explanation of some of the things taking place. One strongly suggested I put a post on FV as he said it helped him to 'get it' and it might help others. I've got nothing against FV but I don't post on social media at all these days due to issues outside of the forum which I know has some fine people who keep in contact. So here goes I will offer some information.

In simple terms there are two paths to dealing with COVID-19 (the diseased condition). One which is the current path is the 'herd immunity' strategy. This has been agreed to by all of the nation's heads of government. The strategy is that over about the next 6 months at least 60% of the population catches SARSCoV-2 (the name of the virus). Once this level of population is exposed transmission becomes more difficult and cases would taper off. 60% of the population has been effectively immunised and carry memory cells to combat future exposure. With this strategy it is definitely not over in 6 months as the rest of the population could still contract the virus but cases would be at a low level and with sporadic outbreaks. So expect isolation strategies for individual cases to remain in place until a vaccine is developed.

The current strategy is a balancing act in getting sufficient numbers of people exposed while keeping those requiring hospitalisation down to manageable levels. You have seen a suggested peak of 100,00 new infections per day. That doesn't mean 100,000 newly sick every day as many will show no symptoms and the majority mild symptoms. Overall the average mortality rate does appear to be about 1% or less though this varies by age group. At this sort of rate based on the time spent by people in ICU to recover the total number of ICUs required is about 5,000. We currently have under 3,000 but time is being bought to get closer to 5,000.

As a simplification with this strategy younger people have the burden of getting exposed and providing herd immunity. The benefit (eventually) is the country's borders open up quicker allowing the economy to recover and a quicker transition back to normality though I think all of us know it will be a new normal. A huge number of people are losing their jobs and I have lost a lot of my income too. But this strategy offers a quicker turn around than the alternative. The negative here is that while young people will curry the burden of getting the disease and will be prioritised if they get very ill, the older part of the population will bare the burden of deaths so that the overall recovery is quicker. Expected deaths are over 100,000 this year, however, if they can be effectively isolated at workplaces, retirement villages, etc, we might get it down to under 30,000.

So be very clear the strategy is not to stop infection by SARSCoV-2 but control the rate of spread. So the reason things aren't being totally shut down is the desire for this to spread - in a controlled manner. With the capacity to proliferate explosively it is a delicate balancing act. For more information these two articles provide useful overviews:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifes ... 11c319295a

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... curve.html

Here is a great interview (you can ignore the fact it is Allan Jones if you wish but the responses are worthwhile):

https://www.2gb.com/coronavirus-strateg ... s-one-out/

Whether you agree with this strategy or not understand this was agreed to by ALL heads of government (both political persuasions) and senior medical officers.

I have created a couple of quick models and can quickly assess how things are going, but I won't explain the maths here. If you want to keep tabs of things a site created by at Ben Phillips at Melbourne University is really good:

https://benflips.shinyapps.io/nCovForecast/

The 10 day forecast provides a good overview but to monitor the success of the strategy click on the Curve flattening tab. Check the box for any nation of interest. If the curve is above the line (+ve) the rate of increase is being suppressed, if under the line it is not. If the curve bends upwards strong pressure is being applied, bends downwards control is being lost. If you have a look we are doing well - which is what is needed for a smaller, later peak in cases.

The alternative strategy is to have a total lockdown and let the virus decline until it disappears. The advantage of this is the number of deaths can be significantly reduced. The disadvantage is after the virus is controlled the nation has to have its borders shut or severely restricted until a vaccine is developed, potentially extending financial hardship for the population for much longer (and this type of hardship kills people too). If you open your borders you strongly risk new 'yo yo' outbreaks. Some Asian countries have had some success with this approach in part due to the fact that they had a lot of equipment/facilities/procedures to roll out to the SARS outbreak a decade ago. We did not have that 'advantage'. Those nations still remain at risk and can't relax until a vaccine becomes available.

As to cure/vaccines there are some issues. Traditional vaccines can take 6-8 years to develop. The experience with the very similar SARS virus was that novel biotech approaches using viral RNA fragments were investigated and proved problematic. A big issue was the vaccine producing hypersensitisation making them potentially dangerous. The research largely ceased when the SARS outbreak was controlled. There is no guarantee of rapid development of a vaccine and 18 months would be a good result. There are some excellent candidate drugs being investigated that could help save lives and protect health workers. For example the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine shows promise but has some issues (eg. not suitable for people with certain heart conditions). They will be useful but are unlikely to provide long term protection and when an individual comes off them they can get reinfected.

So that is where we are at. Hard decisions have been made for us in a time or crisis. The reality is the majority of FV members will be infected in the next 6 months. For older members they have to do their best so they don't become a statistic.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
THE BEST explanation of the current approach taken by our government IMHO.

Thank You TD :nw:

Now who will vote TD for PM - please raise your hand!!!!!!!!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:17 pm

And then you these Fools!! :o_0:

https://www.france24.com/en/20200320-cl ... rus-crisis

The start of this article seems fair with the PM asking for a morale boost, but a certain group of people have then taken it to the next level !!

https://www.france24.com/en/20200320-cl ... rus-crisis

They got no idea whats coming their way!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

This stuff makes my blood boil. These overseas companies come here and take advantage of Australia in every way possible and aren't patriotic at all. This is where the Australian gov have failed.

Return to “General”