Portland Victoria, boating hazards

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Yambuk
Has liked: 2 times

Portland Victoria, boating hazards

Post by Yambuk » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi everybody, I'm just wanting to know of any boating hazards in and around .Portland harbour.victoria.
My particular interest is the nth end of the bay from the breakwall around to Wally's landing.

I know of some reef around there ,just interested in some experienced skipper views on water depths in the area and if it's to shallow at low tides to fish in there .
I have only a small boat with less than 1mtr clearance underneath. But haven't fished the area before. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on the topic

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Portland Victoria, boating hazards

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Yambuk wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 pm
Hi everybody, I'm just wanting to know of any boating hazards in and around .Portland harbour.victoria.
My particular interest is the nth end of the bay from the breakwall around to Wally's landing.

I know of some reef around there ,just interested in some experienced skipper views on water depths in the area and if it's to shallow at low tides to fish in there .
I have only a small boat with less than 1mtr clearance underneath. But haven't fished the area before. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on the topic
We kayaked out from wallys on Sunday and the only small hazard was a small breaker about 300 meters out where the bottom went from 5+ meters to 3 meters and the swell and wind was straight on shore

We didn't stay in close much anyway trying to find some clean water and of cause Tuna but it was pretty dirty and cold out to the anchorage So no fish but a nice paddle
We cut the trip short after 5 hours as the wind was picking up as it swung SE
it seams the tuna were out around Julia Percy in 30 or so meters and in cleaner water
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Yambuk
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Yambuk » Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Yeah ,right cheater, thanks mate,ive heard it can be 1meter in places, but I don't know,and so I wonder if this is true,and if it's high or low tide. It sounds like plenty of water.
You fished there many times . Cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am

Shallowest I’ve seen it along the north shore was about 2m. I wasn’t paying attention to the tide but on a very low tide it might be shallow enough to hit a boat going over the top. Biggest issue along there is the bommies that break when the swell gets up. I’ve had a few nervous moments out there when a bigger set reared up seemingly out of nowhere.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun May 24, 2020 8:15 am

Yambuk wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 pm
Yeah ,right cheater, thanks mate,ive heard it can be 1meter in places, but I don't know,and so I wonder if this is true,and if it's high or low tide. It sounds like plenty of water.
You fished there many times . Cheers
only a few times mainly launching from Henty Bay - but of cause all I need is a beach that I can access and a meter is more than enough for us
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “General”