Wind from the East fish the least, wind from the West fish the best!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Re: Wind from the East fish the least, wind from the West fish the best!

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 am

This wind is thing is retard poop crab, with West SSW is said best for snapper but it haven't giving me any snapper at all mate.

Island-boy
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Island-boy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Well it was SE to NE pretty much all weekend and there has been some very nice reports going around on social media snapper of all sizes, bag limit catches of KG's, some gummys and plenty of couta, pike, etc plus plenty of calamari, so i guess this is an example where winds from east doesn't seem an important factor.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm
Thats what i was always told by old fishos down Phillip Island way, or something to those words.

Is there any truth to it?
A lot of truth to it.

It is not the wind but what tends to happen with it ;-)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm
Well it was SE to NE pretty much all weekend and there has been some very nice reports going around on social media snapper of all sizes, bag limit catches of KG's, some gummys and plenty of couta, pike, etc plus plenty of calamari, so i guess this is an example where winds from east doesn't seem an important factor.
The barometer was fairly stable over the weekend which is probably more of a factor.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:13 pm
Island-boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm
The barometer was fairly stable over the weekend which is probably more of a factor.
But it low, then 1014.5 for snapper and for other fish, however the water temperature is great. To me this week is 50/50

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 pm

The below video was posted yesterday. As you’ll hear from the bloke fishing it’s an easterly. No doubt Westerly is better but if I’ve got the time I’m going fishing regardless of the wind. If I had to wait for a westerly, high barometer and time off work to align I’d be out once a year.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfvLhaGBzo

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 pm

Yea that’s it Robbie! Just go when you can mate. I used to always try and wait for the ideal conditions but these days just go fishing when I can and have been doing alright :P

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Easterly wasn't so much an issue 1am-430am Sunday morning as there was no wind at all. Add to it little rain for a number of days made for good clarity at the bottom of the ebb. Minimal cloud cover allowing perfect light levels from the almost full moon and a barometer between 1018 and 1020. Fish were easy to get once found, even the big ones I stupidly dropped or missed

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm
I thought there might actually be some truth too it that might have to do with water temps that could affect feeding patterns of some fish.

Dont expect Port Phillip bay or even much of Western Port would be affected much but when you get a good SE-E blow sometimes it seems to cause a drop in surface water temps in Bass Strait (along the coast at least) that expect would also push into the east and west entrance areas of western port.

You wouldn't expect SE-E winds to cause water temp drops but i think its got to do with upwelling events deeper water replacing surface water http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog/124 ... oastlines/

If you're land based it has a massive effect on where you CAN fish as opposed to how good the fishing is. Snapps fishing with heavy lead is possible in a lot of conditions but if you're squidding or spinning crosswinds make life very very difficult.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:04 pm

Hey, I recently went out two consecutive nights (actually bloody early in the morning!) to fish land-based at high tide...

First night, an easterley popped-up before I could wet a bait. Two and a half hours later - not a fish, not even the ever-present toadies...

Following night, a nice light SW. High tide was the usual 45 mins later. This time plenty of bites. Ended up with 8 KGW, all around 45cm, two toadies and a micro Port Jackson shark...

So you can rule out angling incompetence! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
cheaterparts wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:10 am
mingle wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 pm
Yep. I fish the Island pretty exclusively and 9 times out of 10 and easterly wind = no fish. No idea why...

poor fishing skills Mike :rf:

Return to “General”