Sinking re-bar into a cliff

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Sinking re-bar into a cliff

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:01 pm

I wasn't sure which section to put this in.

A few spots i've seen in NSW have bits of re-bar sunk into the cliff face you can climb down / hold on too.

Does anyone have any idea how i'd go about doing this? I'd guess they are drilled in then cemented / glued on but I have no idea.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Sinking re-bar into a cliff

Post by FishnMiss » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Get a good Battery powered Drill and some Diamond Core or Diamond tipped drill bits (Carbide tipped bits may work also) and some water to cool the bits down or keep them cool while drilling. It’s Not a quick job also depends on the type of rock material.
I had some ceramic tiles I installed recently and the least expensive way that worked was Diamond tips (Cored bits will last longer but will cost more), my SDS bits didn’t work and neither standard masonry bits.
Drill the hole almost the same size as rebar then use a 4Lb hammer to pound the bar in.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 am

FishnMiss wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm
Get a good Battery powered Drill and some Diamond Core or Diamond tipped drill bits (Carbide tipped bits may work also) and some water to cool the bits down or keep them cool while drilling. It’s Not a quick job also depends on the type of rock material.
I had some ceramic tiles I installed recently and the least expensive way that worked was Diamond tips (Cored bits will last longer but will cost more), my SDS bits didn’t work and neither standard masonry bits.
Drill the hole almost the same size as rebar then use a 4Lb hammer to pound the bar in.
Sorry this advice could kill someone. Don’t tamper with nature and the bar will come loose eventually.

Something like Chemset look into it and check load ratings.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:16 am

I've done a lot of rock climbing and setting permanent fixtures into rock...personally I preferred to use Expansion Bolts. The preparation of a resin-set hole, getting it clean with airpump and metho, is critical. Expansion Bolts require far less preparation as the majority of the holding is done by the fixture, and not the resin. It's a good idea to put a bit of resin in anyway, apart from added adhesion, it prevents anyone from loosening them for whatever reason. Obviously you would make up the attachment needed (handle/step etc.) to suit the bolt/s.

Drilling the holes takes a fair bit of mucking around and setting up if you're hanging from a rope, it's not so bad if you're able to stand easily, as you can put all your weight behind the drill.

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 am

rb85 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 am
FishnMiss wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm
Sorry this advice could kill someone. Don’t tamper with nature and the bar will come loose eventually.

Something like Chemset look into it and check load ratings.
Totally agree. I think you should use Chemsets, Dynabolts or maybe, just maybe Trubolts but I wouldn't rely on just bashing in the bar.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:40 am

Dougie you are better off asking these questions on a dedicated rock climbers forum, you will get accurate answers from hands on climbers.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Just make an old school rope ladder haha

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:57 pm

John Dory wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:34 pm
Just make an old school rope ladder haha
I'm going along one not up and down. Up and down with thick knotted ropes is actually nowhere near as hard as getting along a flat vertical surface.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:20 pm

DougieK wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:57 pm
I'm going along one not up and down. Up and down with thick knotted ropes is actually nowhere near as hard as getting along a flat vertical surface.
Would you be hanging from a rope to do the drilling?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Totalling the cost of each trip wouldn't you be better off taking a charter a few times a year in the rip chasing kings ? would it be more cost effective ? ... mind you I don't know how much each trip costs you ?.......
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “General”