Rock life

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Rock life

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am

DougieK wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am

I first saw this ledge as a very heavily photoshopped image on Facebook taken with a drone and disguised to make it difficult to find. After 'some time' of playing with google maps, I narrowed it's location (if it existed at all) down to a select few stretches of coast and after a week of walking along cliff tops in the middle of nowhere, i f---ing found it within 500m of a carpark which I had first overlooked.
Man thats next level spot X conservation. Respect to those that put in that effort protecting, and further more to those unravelling it

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Here's the view from the top of another fairly difficult spot at JB. This one is called 'Eves' and is probably my favorite spot i've ever fished. It is extremely difficult to climb in to and you probably won't find it unless someone shows you where it is. I was lucky enough to befriend a local LBG guy who showed me the ropes (literally) and drew me a little map of how to find it, even then it took a gps and quite a few U turns to get to.

The walk in is a bush bash off an trail that is barely visible, a climb down a rope then an extremely challenging scramble over some boulders that have detached from the cliff. There are half a dozen spots where if you come unstuck you are probably going to die. The ledge itself is approx 4m wide and 10m long, and will comfortably fish only 3 people at a time.

I have literally never seen anyone else fishing this spot, however there are signs of fisho's on the ledge. I hooked a few good fish here but only landed small ones as my gaff didn't quite reach the water and lifting even moderate kingfish onto a ledge is a practice in futility.

A truly spectacular place that is worth the time it takes to find even if you're not a fisho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZB3FJjerVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73sACMlQzI

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Good stuff there Dougie.
I've never gone that far up the coast landbasing, it sure looks spectacular as well as challenging. Are you able to catch your livies where you fish, or bring them with you?

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm

I've been to Eves. Hard work but you feel like you are in another world, all on your own. Amazing place.

Great post Dougie, making get the LBG itch again

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:35 pm

greggo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 pm
Good stuff there Dougie.
I've never gone that far up the coast landbasing, it sure looks spectacular as well as challenging. Are you able to catch your livies where you fish, or bring them with you?

In pre dawn, catch them where I fish. Slimeys need to be kept alive in a bait pool with a pump / buckets of water, yakkas are often available during the day but can be a bit weird to fish for. I carry backup squid strips in case I can't get any livies, as well as a stupid collection of metals / stickbaits / divers / poppers / plastics etc. There is always something going on and i've never run out of bait. Spinning tiny metals will pick up bonito and frigates as well which you can strip up in a pinch.
GusG wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm
I've been to Eves. Hard work but you feel like you are in another world, all on your own. Amazing place.

Eves is literally the only place i've ever taken a UE-Boom down to and pumped some tunes while i'm fishing. Spinning to 'The Sultans of Swing' at 8 in the morning after fishing for 5 hours already and seeing the bow wave come up behind a GTicecream is heaven on earth. If I could choose one ledge to fish for the rest of my life it would be this one, not because the fishing is any better than next door but the isolation and complete solitude is amazingly calming. It's very easy even casting big stickbaits on an 11'er to just lose yourself in the sunrise and the rythm of the waves, the sound of the water crashing and the passage of the clouds. Time stand stills and i'm at peace with the world.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:51 pm

GusG wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Any relation to CarlG?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Just the view down to eves sends my knees weak
How did you go on volcano island ???
Cheers Gra

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:39 pm
Just the view down to eves sends my knees weak
How did you go on volcano island ???
Cheers Gra
It's an unbelievably stunning place full of good food, beautiful women and awesome fish. I got home late last night and am about to watch the footy. Sometimes over the weekend i'll upload the underwater camera footage and write a proper report, in the mean time..... you get the idea.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Can't wait
Go Bombers, oh sh&t we got thrashed
Go Geelong
Gra

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 pm

DougieK wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:50 am
Fishbref wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:18 pm
Sensational stuff, mate; what's the biggest fish you've caught off the rocks in Vic?

(Just realised the forum timestamps are out of whack by some...)

My first Vic King was also my biggest. 106cm and 9.8kg off the Portland lee breakwater on Australia day 2016. You can read the full report here.

viewtopic.php?f=212&t=14956

Top report; just wow...

Return to “General”