Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
John Dory

Re: Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

Post by John Dory » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:40 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 am
Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:06 am
Anth, with me not knowing Victoria intimately (well not Victoria the state) I would say that you guys in a few years are going to have an over fishing effort issue from the other end of the fishing spectrum , , , , from the recreational fishos. And probably may need to modify fishing regulations. A closed spawning season works , , , , as long as it is long enough, which should include the lead up to the spawning season as well. One aspect as to why it didn't work too well here in SA was it wasn't early enough and the aggregations of snapper were dispersed by being pummelled by the pros who followed the schools up the gulf. Spawning is more effective with big aggregations spawning and not pockets of schools here and there , , , , there is even a PIRSA (our governing body) paper on this , , , , but never acted on.

Here in SA the 5 fish allowed between 38cm-60cm in St Vincents Gulf or 10 fish in our other waters , , , , AND 2 fish over 60cm has always in my opinion has been way too much. that's a hideous amount of fish for a recreational to keep.

The over 60cm fish should all be put back as they are the big breeders.

When you think about it, 3 fish under 60cm is enough.

Cheers, Bugz
I'm with you on the 3 fish under 60cm P/P is enough and a closed period during spawning which is long enough to let them do their thing.

I think this will also deter those snapper only fisherman that don't fish at all until "snapper season" and then go out killing fish 3-4 times a week, sometimes bagging out on each outing with multiple people on their boats.. What the hell can you do with that much snapper meat?

I've had sessions on the snapper getting just under 20 fish in just over an hour.. Kept 2 of them between me and my brother.. Had kingy sessions where I've caught 30 plus kings to 18kgs in 3 days and kept 3 of them between me, my brother and my cousin..

If fishing was about always keeping my bag or for a feed I'd sell my boats, all my gear and be able to buy fish for me and my family for the rest of our lives.. The people that fish that way have got it wrong in my opinion. We need to look after our beautiful environment and our natural resources.

Cheers, Anth
Alot of people are greedy selfish pigs, in all aspects of life unfortunately.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:24 am

I know my attitude has changed over the last few years...I only keep the Goldilocks sized fish (you know, not too small, not too big) and I wont freeze fish anymore with the exception of a gummy & squid. I used to give excess fish to friends and family but I'm finding it a lot more satisfying letting them go now. It's all about quality, not quantity now :thumbsup:

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:53 am

https://www.vrfish.com.au/2018/05/01/re ... r-in-2018/
This makes positive reading - re snapper in PPB.
The bay is a unique spot though, as others have mentioned,
restoration of shellfish beds and reducing/eliminating netters is a big step in this case. The size, the inflow of river nutrients, terrain/depth, temperatures, sheltered reef protection and lots of other factors make it unique.
May not be all the current generation netters fault now, but the past,,,,, I don’t know.
Agree with Bug though regarding buybacks 100%.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am

Mattblack wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:24 am
I know my attitude has changed over the last few years...I only keep the Goldilocks sized fish (you know, not too small, not too big) and I wont freeze fish anymore with the exception of a gummy & squid. I used to give excess fish to friends and family but I'm finding it a lot more satisfying letting them go now. It's all about quality, not quantity now :thumbsup:

Sounds like my youth.....

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 am

Yota wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:53 am
https://www.vrfish.com.au/2018/05/01/re ... r-in-2018/
This makes positive reading - re snapper in PPB.
The bay is a unique spot though, as others have mentioned,
restoration of shellfish beds and reducing/eliminating netters is a big step in this case. The size, the inflow of river nutrients, terrain/depth, temperatures, sheltered reef protection and lots of other factors make it unique.
May not be all the current generation netters fault now, but the past,,,,, I don’t know.
Agree with Bug though regarding buybacks 100%.
The nets removed 2/5ths of fa Snapper. It's mostly done by long lines of which the ban does NOT affect and those with netting licences were actively encouraged to switch to long lining if they wished to continue as commercial fishermen.

2003-2006 were absolute bumper years and seen as the resurgence of Snapper fishing in the state. What happened in 1997/98? Rex Hunt was key in removing Scallop dredging. Coincidentally, 6-9 years is the average growth rate of the 3-6kg Snapper that made up bulk of the recreational catch in 03-06. All while long lining and netting were occouring at even greater rates than at the time of the FOCBAG rallies to end netting...

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:29 am

So we should bring back netters and encourage long lining as well because it was all a big mistake ?
Seems like they are doing it the correct way in SA then after all ?
Another breeding cycle should fix it all up. Job done.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am

yepi'mon wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am
Mattblack wrote:

when I was young I wasn't fussy at all...if she had a pulse she was fair game (especially on the 21st Centuries revolving dance floor at 3am)

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am

Mattblack wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am
yepi'mon wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

when I was young I wasn't fussy at all...if she had a pulse she was fair game (especially on the 21st Centuries revolving dance floor at 3am)
Someone has to look after the undersize fish right?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:15 am

Mattblack wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:45 am
yepi'mon wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Hunting razor backs in the dark corner of the dance floor was my speciality once upon a time

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Yota wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:29 am
So we should bring back netters and encourage long lining as well because it was all a big mistake ?
Seems like they are doing it the correct way in SA then after all ?
Another breeding cycle should fix it all up. Job done.
Now you're twisting **** to suit yourself. I merely highlighted how much bull the gullible sucked up as gospel from the likes of Vrfish, Future Fish and those with vested interest like Raynor and Kramer that flew directly in the face of VFA recruitment surveys that for nearly a decade pointed to low to average spawn rates. How Snapper stocks made an enormous rebound while commercial fishing of both PPB and WP were in full swing. And what little netting actually does to Snapper stocks, while the little thought about commercial practice that actually takes Snapper is entirely exempt from the recent bans in PPB.

If you seriously think the banning of nets from PPB will make anymore than a pooftenth of difference of Snapper stocks in the bay you've got nothing but air in the cavity that should be filled with a brain

Return to “General”