Target One Million....is it working?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: Target One Million....is it working?

Post by Tim399 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:58 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:33 pm
April Fool wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 pm
It would be good if we could see a running total somewhere of the number of participants or licence holders of the “one million”.
There is no exact way to determine this I would think. Not all people fishing require a license. And I have heard a rumour that the rise in licenced fishos may not be that dramatic.
Cheers
Jim
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that there hasn't been a big increase in the number of fishos. Where are all the Target 1 Million press releases published? Through channels that people who already fish use. Not exactly the best place if you want to bring new people into the sport.

If they actually wanted more fishermen they'd be putting ads up in schools and **** like that.

IMO it's a strategy aimed at the fishing/hunting clique of fairly conservative blue collar types to convince them not to split off to the shooters and fishers party. Whether that is actually the case or not, I hope the plan fails miserably to reach it's target because half the accessible spots are already crowded as **** and I hate to think what it's be like with 20-30% more flogs trying to catch a fish. Not to mention the extra pressure on the fish populations.
The only place I have read of target 1 million is on this forum. Not even the Victorian kayak anglers forum. Has anyone seen advertising or promotions elsewhere?

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:09 pm

There are some figures on the thread I just started.
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=23010

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 pm

April Fool wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:09 pm
There are some figures on the thread I just started.
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=23010
Thanks, I just read through the thread, which partly answered my previous question; how many fishing licenses are being sold (does not directly reflect the number of anglers of course) and pulled this quote from www.vrfish.com.au,

“In 2017/18, the total number of recreational fishing licenses sold (258,531) was the lowest since 2008/09 and was 76,169 less than anticipated in the Regulatory Impact Statement for Recreational Fishery Licence Fees (March 2016)”

If that information is anything to go by I think we are quiet a way off reaching target 1 million

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:16 am

Dont know about the 1 mill but every weekend there are heaps of boats at St Leonards

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:18 am

But is the question is.ate they new.people fishing or already people that have been?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:25 am

Anyone notice there target 1 million is going to cost 100 million dollars also
https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... ne-million

My understanding of what they are doing soumd so close to what they ment to be doing with money we paid for our fishing licence is for.

So they going to spend 100mil to increase the amount of people fishing up to 1 million
So there could be increase of 50,000 or 400,00
I can't find statistics on how many they know are already fishing.

But with the out increasing any peirs or major increase to boat ramps or parking
E.g. east side.
How would they increase parking at black rock, carrum, mornington, Frankston, crib point act

Sorry I d9nt know the West side ramps capacities.

It's not like you can put a extra 50 trailers and extra launching lanes at these places during snapper season etc

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:08 am

From Smiles link.

“pursue reciprocal licence arrangements with New South Wales”
What are they going to try and achieve here? Will it be for inland waters?

Then Phase 2
https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... nemillion2

If the end result is better fisheries and facilities that’s great.

Personally I’d like to see Cowes ramp fixed with better protection from weather and sand buildup. Won’t happen...

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:07 am

rb85 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:08 am
From Smiles link.

Good question! I have no doubt the main push for the reciprocal license would for Vic freshwater fishos fishing the Murray. If they did reciprocate the license then I dare say saltwater would be included too...it would have to be. Although the powers to be may not accept our logic. This subject did come up when I had to endure the ministers visit at Snob's Creek a few weeks ago. I should have paid more attention to her rather than drooling over the sausage rolls which were to be eaten after she finished talking!!! Anyway, I digress, the NSW/Vic license subject came up and from what I remember discussions so far with NSW have hit a brick wall...and always have! NSW have too much to lose (income) by the sounds of it. It would be interesting to know how much money from RFL fees that NSW 'pours' into the Murray. This may be an argument I have heard from them before that they use to back their reasoning that they need license fees from everyone that fishes it. I would hazard a guess that the biggest expense is for their fisheries officers to patrol it.
cheers
Team Bender
Loves a sausage roll!

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:10 pm

I like the way 9f joint licencing.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:10 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:07 am
rb85 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:08 am
From Smiles link.

Good question! I have no doubt the main push for the reciprocal license would for Vic freshwater fishos fishing the Murray. If they did reciprocate the license then I dare say saltwater would be included too...it would have to be. Although the powers to be may not accept our logic. This subject did come up when I had to endure the ministers visit at Snob's Creek a few weeks ago. I should have paid more attention to her rather than drooling over the sausage rolls which were to be eaten after she finished talking!!! Anyway, I digress, the NSW/Vic license subject came up and from what I remember discussions so far with NSW have hit a brick wall...and always have! NSW have too much to lose (income) by the sounds of it. It would be interesting to know how much money from RFL fees that NSW 'pours' into the Murray. This may be an argument I have heard from them before that they use to back their reasoning that they need license fees from everyone that fishes it. I would hazard a guess that the biggest expense is for their fisheries officers to patrol it.
cheers
Team Bender
Loves a sausage roll!

Nothing wrong with a good sausage roll mate lol

Return to “General”