Educating fish

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Educating fish

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 am

https://theconversation.com/catch-me-if ... ish-117364

I thought the above topic would be of interest.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Educating fish

Post by hornet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Interesting read that relates to lure caught fish, the smelly baito fishermen is safe ! :banana:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm

This is such an interesting topic.

I was talking to my brother about this the other day, we were talking about snapper sometimes being hard to catch in areas that have previously been very productive. People say that the snapper are being over fished or there aren't as many snapper left..
My thoughts are that the fish learn to avoid these areas after a bit of fishing pressure and it's not that there are "less snapper" but the snapper have just moved to different, less pressured areas.

I watched something ages ago about marine sanctuaries in NZ, just outside these areas there weren't many fish but inside the areas the fish were plentiful. It's like the fish understand that the area was less pressured which makes sense because all animals tend to stay clear of predators or areas were there are more people.

Also I've read that animals like whales and dolphins change migration patterns to avoid humans that hunt them.. I know mammals are much smarter but i think that instinct to avoid predators is present in all living things.

Cheers, Anth

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Very interesting.
Great read mate.
Cheers :thumbsup:

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm

.....I watched something ages ago about marine sanctuaries in NZ, just outside these areas there weren't many fish but inside the areas the fish were plentiful. It's like the fish understand that the area was less pressured which makes sense because all animals tend to stay clear of predators or areas were there are more people.....
In principle I would agree with your snapper theory in PBB , and even more so around the popular piers et al...however, the sanctuary vs non sanctuary observation is biased in my opinion. Sanctuaries usually have been created to perserve a productive, functioning, and unique habitat so in my mind of course that location will natrually attract and sustain a higher population and variety of acquatic species. The animals goes where there is plentiful food, which just happens to be off limits to fisher folk. .... I'm no scientist so I could be talking complete bull.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Interesting read thanks for sharing. How often do you hear of a lost whiting spooking the school and the bite shutting down? Same with EP's but this is a short term reaction being shy of a lure and retaining that info is fascinating .
Sinsemilla wrote:

I was talking to my brother about this the other day, we were talking about snapper sometimes being hard to catch in areas that have previously been very productive. People say that the snapper are being over fished or there aren't as many snapper left..
My thoughts are that the fish learn to avoid these areas after a bit of fishing pressure and it's not that there are "less snapper" but the snapper have just moved to different, less pressured areas.

I watched something ages ago about marine sanctuaries in NZ, just outside these areas there weren't many fish but inside the areas the fish were plentiful. It's like the fish understand that the area was less pressured which makes sense because all animals tend to stay clear of predators or areas were there are more people.

Also I've read that animals like whales and dolphins change migration patterns to avoid humans that hunt them.. I know mammals are much smarter but i think that instinct to avoid predators is present in all living things.

Cheers, Anth
Anth not sure how vast an area your talking for Snapper? Have been told that Snapper being a scavenger will deplete certain sections of reef completely of food and shellfish etc in a season then move onto the next section of reef a season later.

Check out Al's podcast for his insight into NSW marine parks Anth.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:26 pm
Interesting read thanks for sharing. How often do you hear of a lost whiting spooking the school and the bite shutting down? Same with EP's but this is a short term reaction being shy of a lure and retaining that info is fascinating .
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth
Anth not sure how vast an area your talking for Snapper? Have been told that Snapper being a scavenger will deplete certain sections of reef completely of food and shellfish etc in a season then move onto the next section of reef a season later.

Check out Al's podcast for his insight into NSW marine parks Anth.
It could be and probably is the fish cleaning the area out and moving on but in some cases I've found fish, had guys anchor on top of me, the fish shut down, then i move around and within a few hundred meters find them again.. similar with whiting. Maybe after getting a lot of pressure in an area they might just move on completely? who knows..

I'll have a listen to it. Cheers

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:22 pm

interesting read. microevolution rather than just fishing pressure the way I read it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 am

Interrsting read
Thanks for the information

Return to “General”