Do we over fish the snapper?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Do we over fish the snapper?

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 04, 2019 9:56 am

gregmaka wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 am
I agree in the last month i have seen more snapper caught land based than i have seen years,including the one i caught the other day on salted blue bait from mario's baits in Geelong.
That’s a nice lb red mate :thumbsup:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am

Mattblack wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:25 am
Are you guys talking about pinkies or snapper? I find snapper season a struggle every year....the amount of boat traffic on the bays is crazy & more often than not I come home with nothing. Things have got better, but I wouldnt say things are great

We had a few great seasons, then things seem to have backed off over the last few. This all coincides with good/bad spawning. According to fisheries research we should have a few good seasons soon approaching. The plagues of micro pinkies around at the moment is a result of good spawning, and great things to come. Keep giving them hell Matt....Spring is the start of a new season with a new run of fish buddy ;)

Snapper sure do cop a flogging every year, but this flogging is sustainable. However, with the mass increase of fishos on the water each year, it's only a matter of time before further modifications of bag/size limits are made, in order to combat overfishing and help keep the fishery sustainable.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm

gregmaka wrote:
I agree in the last month i have seen more snapper caught land based than i have seen years,including the one i caught the other day on salted blue bait from mario's baits in Geelong.
That is a STONKA Greg, well done , , , , and Landbased too :notworthy:

P4230122-1.jpg
P4230122-1.jpg (22.32 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

Land based Snapper should always be photoed at home , , , , after the satisfyingly weary adventure AND only letting people know what bench-top you have and not which landmark you are standing in-front of.

I only get excited about Land-based Snapper nowadays, that is fishing, the anticipation, the challenge, the meticulous approach, and the sense of achievement of landing the conquest :a_goodjob:

Cheers, Bug

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm
gregmaka wrote:
That is a STONKA Greg, well done , , , , and Landbased too :notworthy:

P4230122-1.jpg

Land based Snapper should always be photoed at home , , , , after the satisfyingly weary adventure AND only letting people know what bench-top you have and not which landmark you are standing in-front of.

I only get excited about Land-based Snapper nowadays, that is fishing, the anticipation, the challenge, the meticulous approach, and the sense of achievement of landing the conquest :a_goodjob:

Cheers, Bug
04/23/2019? That like 4 week away

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:52 pm

gregmaka wrote:
Nice one mate

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Sat May 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Funny as i had 4 lines out this particular day,then the regular guy that fishes on that spot every day rolled up,and i told him i'm happy to take 2 of my rods out so he could fish,but he instead said sorry i don't speak much English. So i kept my lines in,an hour later it was on,and he was able to say come on i will help you.Got his net out and in the net it goes. As an eating fish i prefer 1- 2 kg models so i told him you could have it if you swap me with the next Mulloway you catch,he was not interested in my offer. I cannot give away where these nice fish are caught every day,but keep trying the bay is full of them at the moment,and so will be the Salmon in good numbers.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 pm

This isn't 1989, Snapper are far from overfished these days

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 04, 2019 11:57 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Here in South Australia, they are over fished. Unprecedented closures and restrictions.
A land-based Snapper here in South Oz is as rare as the flies on Rocking Horse Poo.

You guys in Victoria are very fortunate.

Cheers, Bugatti

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Here in South Australia, they are over fished. Unprecedented closures and restrictions.
A land-based Snapper here in South Oz is as rare as the flies on Rocking Horse Poo.

You guys in Victoria are very fortunate.

Cheers, Bugatti
Didn't realize you were in SA. Seems there are some problems there from what I have read. Lived in Adelaide 2003-2006. Snapper were good then. I wonder if it is over fishing or an environmental change.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “General”