Kayak Fishing Werribee From werribee river

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
andrewskayakfishing

Kayak Fishing Werribee From werribee river

Post by andrewskayakfishing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and fairly new to fishing in general. I have recently purchased a kayak and have been looking at different places to kayak fish from.

I am playing to take the kayak out to Werribee South and Launch at the mouth of the werribee river.

I was wanting to know how far our and in what directions to fish from. (Some flat head would be great, but bream etc would be good too). I am also happy for any others to join when I head out. I am fairly flexible on time at the moment and have some time off work for a few weeks.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Kayak Fishing Werribee From werribee river

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 am

andrewskayakfishing wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am
Hey everyone I am new to this forum and fairly new to fishing in general. I have recently purchased a kayak and have been looking at different places to kayak fish from.

I am playing to take the kayak out to Werribee South and Launch at the mouth of the werribee river.

I was wanting to know how far our and in what directions to fish from. (Some flat head would be great, but bream etc would be good too). I am also happy for any others to join when I head out. I am fairly flexible on time at the moment and have some time off work for a few weeks.
Hi Andrew, welcome.
I have only started kayak fishing only been out on the bay few times. That Werribee south can be very tidal. Make sure you pick low wind days and avoid new/full moon. With PFD and all.

Generally you dont need to go out that far. Last time I went out was only 200 metres off the shore to the left of the mouth and caught some pinkies and small flathead.

If this is your first time out on a yak, I suggest play around in lakes or slow moving rivers to get use to.

Good luck and stay safe!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 am

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am
The very first thing I would ask. Can you turn you kayak up the right way and get back on in deep water

If not that is the first thing to practice Leave your rods behind and get this right first
You just need a PFD , your kayak and you paddle leashed to the kayak and a beach to go swimming

I know is sound simple but one day your life may depend on it and the worst time to try and learn this is when things turn to poo poo

Can’t help you much with the top end of PPB as I don’t tend to fish there WP is my back yard

Stay safe
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

andrewskayakfishing

Post by andrewskayakfishing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks guys. I have been out twice already, once at Campbell's cove and once at Altona. Is the werribee river mouth any more tidal than those areas?

I have done a bit of kayaking before and am very safety concious. I take a waterproof vhf marine radio, My mobile in a waterproof case, life jacket and bilge pump. I also bought a kayak which is suitable for open offshore waters and it is a 3.7m long 88cm pontoon hub pedal drive kayak which is rated to hold 250kg.

andrewskayakfishing

Post by andrewskayakfishing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:54 am

Seb have you ventured out much further? Or down the river? Where else have you taken the kayak?

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:54 am
Seb have you ventured out much further? Or down the river? Where else have you taken the kayak?
I went out Altona on a flat day (5kmh wind) and I think it was 60% moon. I went out pretty far to around 7-8m water. Paddling back against the run out tide was a work out, and that was on 5kmh wind day. Same with Campbell's Cove.

Anything around river mouth usually has some sort of current.
And nah, usually 200-300 metres from the shore is more than enough. Often less.

Paddle into the Werribee river is also nice.

I have hand paddle kayak, not those hobbie foot drive thing.

Mostly I use the kayak to lakes, been to Goulburn river around Nagambie-Murchison couple times.
I'm pretty cautious kayaking on the bay.

Try Clifton Springs, plenty of squid grounds within 100m off the shore.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Nothing wrong with trying the river itself, does hold bream.
There is a ramp South of the river mouth accessed from the freeway, I think. I can't remember the area's name, I know "bowl" has launched from there. A Good whiting area.
If you want some freshwater fishing try
Above the Werribee Weir (Historic Park)
The Bungies hole at Chirnside Park, small ramp at the Angling club
Cheers Gra

andrewskayakfishing

Post by andrewskayakfishing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:02 pm

I have rented a boat at intended head before. Lots of squid there as well. Lovely spot and only 200 bucks for 8 hours and Rod the owner is an awesome guy as well. Plenty of flat head there as as well.

When I went to Altona it was a tough paddle back in and I was doing well with flat head and got distracted with the time so the tide was a bit low coming back in and I had to drag my kayak across the mud which is the down side of launching at Altona unless there is a better spot to launch and retrieve from. I didn't have my pedal drive yet and just the paddle that day. At Campbells cove I was using the pedal drive system and the paddle to come back in and it was much much quicker and easier. I just didn't catch anything, nearly got a gummy shark but it broke my leader as I was trying to get it in my landing net.

I don't have a hobbit I bought a kayak from kayaks2fish the orca Kronos.

Thata good to know about the whiting near the werribee south boat ramp.

andrewskayakfishing

Post by andrewskayakfishing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Also I'm thinking I might head out on Tuesday for a fish if the weather is OK

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Welcome to the community!

Return to “General”