SP jig head recommendations

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: SP jig head recommendations

Post by ChrisD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 am

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:10 pm
Maybe tell us specifically what do you want to use sp for ChrisD.
Per my first post -
Location for fishing will of course be long the Yarra, if that makes a difference to the jig head.
Trout & Redfin being the prime targets.

Sorry another question - does using a snap/swivel make any difference to the action of a SP ?
I just prefer to use one so i can change lures more quickly.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: SP jig head recommendations

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 am

ChrisD wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 am
Seb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:10 pm
Maybe tell us specifically what do you want to use sp for ChrisD.
Per my first post -
Location for fishing will of course be long the Yarra, if that makes a difference to the jig head.
Trout & Redfin being the prime targets.

Sorry another question - does using a snap/swivel make any difference to the action of a SP ?
I just prefer to use one so i can change lures more quickly.
I mean, specifically as in how deep is the water and whether it's slow or fast. And yes, fish species is also helps to identify the jig head required.
Generally I'd use floating hard body for redfin and trout in rivers. Since usually they live in shallow fast'ish running water. Fast water means often the lure gets drifted fast and sink fairly quick, before you can start to retrieve, it'll hit the bottom and snagged.
Floating lure is good so it doesn't sink and get snagged on the bottom, gives you time to retrieve.

If you are insisting to use plastic, use ligthest jig head your rod can possibly cast. So it doesn't sink too quickly. Check your rod and see how light your rod can cast. 2" zman grub with 1/24 jig head #2 hook is a start (providing your rod can cast 1/24 weight). Cast and retrieve ASAP after it hits the water. If your rod cant cast 1/24 then go heavier to 1/16 or 1/8 etc, but be mindful, heavier means sinks quicker.
Like skronkman said, too light/heavy and you cant cast properly.

Most cases, swivel/snap doesn't change the action, even some cases it helps for the lure to swim freely with wobbly action. But use small one, personally I think they can see it if its too big. Makes the lure heavy too.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “General”