The bucket list

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: The bucket list

Post by 4liters » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:49 pm

DougieK wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:56 am
rb85 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 am
DougieK wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am
rb85 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 pm
DougieK wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:08 pm

If you saw a guy in a spot on the penninsula that looks like you shouldn't be able to get there then yeah, that was me. Don't ask how i went.
Different ledge I think but was thinking **** thats a lot of effort to get there. You done as well as me then....
I literally didn't see a non-sh1tfish in 35 hours.
Thats Demoralising make it so much better once you get one Friday may ok dependant on how much swell there is.
Sick of walking with all the gear for no result. It would have been faster and more effective to drive to JB, fish for a king then drive home.
You should get a kayak.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 pm

In the last 10 days I’ve fished 30 hours offshore chasing kings. first was a long awaited charter with Cini along with some forum members where we went something like 8:2 on the kings but I didn’t pop my cherry. Went back with another forum member to do the same thing a few days later and no dice, Cini missed too. Then last Friday after a last minute trip was organised was up till midnight Thursday rigging a live bait tank in my boat. Spent the day offshore trolling livies. Found mobs of tuna that shouldn’t be where they were and weren’t interested in the slightest on hitting a lure. Had a King well over a metre chase up a mates lure only to have it ignore the 3 live yakkas being trolled at the back of the boat.

Fair to say I’ve thrown some time, effort and money at catching a king this summer. But at least I’ve learnt the 1%ers that much more skilled anglers than I use to catch fish.. they’ll come.

As for my bucket list for the next 12 months

King on my boat - bait/lure I ain’t picky. Prefer lure of course.
Tuna on the cast
Actually get out jew fishing this year
Next summer have a proper crack at toothies

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 am

ducky wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 pm
In the last 10 days I’ve fished 30 hours offshore chasing kings. first was a long awaited charter with Cini along with some forum members where we went something like 8:2 on the kings but I didn’t pop my cherry. Went back with another forum member to do the same thing a few days later and no dice, Cini missed too. Then last Friday after a last minute trip was organised was up till midnight Thursday rigging a live bait tank in my boat. Spent the day offshore trolling livies. Found mobs of tuna that shouldn’t be where they were and weren’t interested in the slightest on hitting a lure. Had a King well over a metre chase up a mates lure only to have it ignore the 3 live yakkas being trolled at the back of the boat.

Fair to say I’ve thrown some time, effort and money at catching a king this summer. But at least I’ve learnt the 1%ers that much more skilled anglers than I use to catch fish.. they’ll come.

As for my bucket list for the next 12 months

King on my boat - bait/lure I ain’t picky. Prefer lure of course.
Tuna on the cast
Actually get out jew fishing this year
Next summer have a proper crack at toothies
Hearing you

At least it's exciting fishing rather than sitting back waiting for a boring old snapper to take a squid ring. Seen a lot of BFT recently too, also zero interest.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:16 am

So hard to catch a small king! be better to save all that dough and go to NZ on a charter, do it once and do it proper?

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 am

Nah prefer to do it locally and repeatable. I’ve dropped 2 rats boatside in the past. But I’m wanting something 7kg+

Got the boat. Got the gear and after the last few trips this year I have a much better idea. Just need to free up more time.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:29 am

ducky wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 am
Nah prefer to do it locally and repeatable. I’ve dropped 2 rats boatside in the past. But I’m wanting something 7kg+

Got the boat. Got the gear and after the last few trips this year I have a much better idea. Just need to free up more time.
I'm with you brother...There's something deeply satisfying about catching fish on your own boat (or bit rock, sand or jetty) after doing all your own research and collecting all your own gear. It's a feeling you'll never get going with a charter/guide/knowledgeable friend.
I'm slowly moving up the food chain, but next on my bucket list is Kingfish & SBT (probably give them a crack this time next year)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:16 am

ducky wrote:

Less BBQ more fishing

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 pm

cobby wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:16 am
ducky wrote:

Less BBQ more fishing
Less bbq building more fishing I reckon... I must have put 150 hours into that bloody thing.

Return to “General”